When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920s Umberto Dei stayer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Would they have used a 'short-nosed' style saddle at that point in time, like some of the 'Aquila' examples I've seen before?

Would they have used a 'short-nosed' style saddle at that point in time, like some of the 'Aquila' examples I've seen before?
Yes, but I’ve noticed that stayer saddles (short nosed and extra padded) appeared somewhere in the 1930s. Before that I noticed they used standard saddles - maybe not as extreme as track sprint saddles used to be - but surely closer to standard road ones

Yes, but I’ve noticed that stayer saddles (short nosed and extra padded) appeared somewhere in the 1930s. Before that I noticed they used standard saddles - maybe not as extreme as track sprint saddles used to be - but surely closer to standard road ones
Thanks for the information.
Practically every 'vintage' stayer I have seen has had an 'Aquila' saddle fitted.
They also seem to have been recycled/reused over the years, I have a friend who has a couple of 1980's Spanish bikes fitted with what look like earlier saddles.
Do you know how long 'Aquila' produced that style of saddle for?
Were there any other manufacturers producing that style also?

Thanks for the information.
Practically every 'vintage' stayer I have seen has had an 'Aquila' saddle fitted.
They also seem to have been recycled/reused over the years, I have a friend who has a couple of 1980's Spanish bikes fitted with what look like earlier saddles.
Do you know how long 'Aquila' produced that style of saddle for?
Were there any other manufacturers producing that style also?
I’d like to know something more about your friend with Aquila stayer saddle, especially if he’s willing to trade it/them with period correct stayer saddles I have.

Brooks at some point (I think from mid 30s to early 50s) produced a stayer specific saddle (I do own one). Most of the riders had anyway their custom made stayer saddles (usually a road saddle shortened and re-padded with extra layers)

I’d like to know something more about your friend with Aquila stayer saddle, especially if he’s willing to trade it/them with period correct stayer saddles I have.

Brooks at some point (I think from mid 30s to early 50s) produced a stayer specific saddle (I do own one). Most of the riders had anyway their custom made stayer saddles (usually a road saddle shortened and re-padded with extra layers)
Unfortunately, those are the saddles he used throughout his racing career so he won't be parting with them.
I might be interested in a newer saddle, if you're interested in selling any?

Unfortunately, those are the saddles he used throughout his racing career so he won't be parting with them.
I might be interested in a newer saddle, if you're interested in selling any?
No, sorry. Even if they're from 1980s, stayer saddles are hard to find.
I'd be interested in trades with components I'm really looking for.

Do you have a stayer from 1970s/80s?

-----

did producers of stayer saddles also offer the stabilizers, or were they produced by a different manufacturer?

-----

-----

did producers of stayer saddles also offer the stabilizers, or were they produced by a different manufacturer?

-----
Saddles and stem supports were often made directly by mechanics. In the 70s/80s an Italian precision machining company made a small batch of stayer saddle and stem supports used by Italian Federation until early 90s

For anyone trying to replicate seat/stem supports today, check with marine suppliers.
Flat bottom V-Drive ski boats used the stainless-steel "long turn buckle hardware" on their rear cavitation plates.

I'd bet money that the original Steyer support parts were pirated from something else. So, few were made/sold they would have adapted existing parts wherever possible.

John

There were a few branded offerings of saddle supports for track racing in the UK available.
I've seen 50's/60's examples offered for sale.
No, sorry. Even if they're from 1980s, stayer saddles are hard to find.
I'd be interested in trades with components I'm really looking for.

Do you have a stayer from 1970s/80s?
I've recently been offered an 80's example, but it is just frameset, headset, bottom bracket and seatpost.

Back