When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Columbia ArchBar bottom bracket trouble.....

-

IngoMike

I live for the CABE
I was having trouble with a loose crank arm so I took my BB apart and found the drive side cup had shredded off in a few places, Hmmm. I thought that since the damage was only to the edge of the cup and not the bearing surface that it should be ok, but that is not the reality. Once I put everything back together and get a few miles from the house, the crank arms start loosening up and the problem resurfaces. These Columbia BB's are small, 1 5/8", anybody have some cups? This was my daily rider until the breakdown.

Wow!
Pope definitely didn’t have a better idea there.
Looking at that two piece crank, sure helps to explain why the one piece crank was invented. Lol!
Sorry for the chuckle at your expense, but I just went through a similar experience with a Colson crank earlier this year.
We’ll all keep an eye out for that type/size bottom bracket for you.
Good luck!

How (vs. how-well) do these 2-piece cranks actually work; (hope to avoid having to find out).
It looks like the cranks use a turn-buckle concept, where rotating (relative) the center sleeve tightens the 2 crank arms together.
Not sure what keeps the 2 arms tight to each other, (besides the sleeve threads); or what would cause the sleeve to loosen with riding.
However, the LHS jam nut looks to keep the bearings tight, (if the 2 arms also keep together).
The LHS crank is slotted, but I do not see a keyed washer?

The Iver Johnson "Man Basket", an exact reproduction of the original by @ivrjhnsn, a really, really nice piece! I can get a lot done with this basket before I have to break out the CycleTruck. The basket has also saved me in the past, I felt a loose front end one day and found that the stem had broken just below the basket mount and probably would have given way if not for the basket. I might have to dial it back when riding this one......

Back