When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Columbia ArchBar bottom bracket trouble.....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

IngoMike

I live for the CABE
I was having trouble with a loose crank arm so I took my BB apart and found the drive side cup had shredded off in a few places, Hmmm. I thought that since the damage was only to the edge of the cup and not the bearing surface that it should be ok, but that is not the reality. Once I put everything back together and get a few miles from the house, the crank arms start loosening up and the problem resurfaces. These Columbia BB's are small, 1 5/8", anybody have some cups? This was my daily rider until the breakdown.

Wow!
Pope definitely didn’t have a better idea there.
Looking at that two piece crank, sure helps to explain why the one piece crank was invented. Lol!
Sorry for the chuckle at your expense, but I just went through a similar experience with a Colson crank earlier this year.
We’ll all keep an eye out for that type/size bottom bracket for you.
Good luck!

How (vs. how-well) do these 2-piece cranks actually work; (hope to avoid having to find out).
It looks like the cranks use a turn-buckle concept, where rotating (relative) the center sleeve tightens the 2 crank arms together.
Not sure what keeps the 2 arms tight to each other, (besides the sleeve threads); or what would cause the sleeve to loosen with riding.
However, the LHS jam nut looks to keep the bearings tight, (if the 2 arms also keep together).
The LHS crank is slotted, but I do not see a keyed washer?

The Iver Johnson "Man Basket", an exact reproduction of the original by @ivrjhnsn, a really, really nice piece! I can get a lot done with this basket before I have to break out the CycleTruck. The basket has also saved me in the past, I felt a loose front end one day and found that the stem had broken just below the basket mount and probably would have given way if not for the basket. I might have to dial it back when riding this one......

Back