When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Columbia ArchBar bottom bracket trouble.....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Maybe the stem (or replacement) could be inserted more fully into the fork; and maybe the basket bracket could be attached to the horizontal (whatdoyoucallit) offset member of the stem?

I just got my second similar basket but it attaches to 2 points on the handlebar

will hold 45 cans of beverages .
That would be hard on the stem for sure .

Maker unknown

Your everyday rider is super cool

IMG_8754.jpeg

Not as many crossbars I think they were made specifically for Newspapers .
think you would have to put in a box to carry other stuff.

I need a set of bearing races for a 26 Columbia. Probably try to have a machine shop make some out of stainless steel.

Might want to check if the 1+5/8” is the interface dimension or inside diameter of the bottom bracket; and maybe take measurements in millimeters with digital calipers?
Not sure if parts of any other makers of small BB bicycles — IJ; GWM/Fauber; Colson (lug frame); foreign bikes; or even older OPC Westfield bicycles might be compatible?

I have been thinking of using a contemporary cartridge bearing for the drive sides of old bikes. It seems like a simple sleeve could be machined for the press fit and the bearing would just need to have the correct ID & OD. There have been a few for the BMX bikes over the last 25 years or so. I have found that old BBs just aren't meant to be ridden very hard. I have worn them out in a single ride.

Back