When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Columbia ArchBar bottom bracket trouble.....

-
Maybe the stem (or replacement) could be inserted more fully into the fork; and maybe the basket bracket could be attached to the horizontal (whatdoyoucallit) offset member of the stem?

I just got my second similar basket but it attaches to 2 points on the handlebar

will hold 45 cans of beverages .
That would be hard on the stem for sure .

Maker unknown

Your everyday rider is super cool

IMG_8754.jpeg

Not as many crossbars I think they were made specifically for Newspapers .
think you would have to put in a box to carry other stuff.

I need a set of bearing races for a 26 Columbia. Probably try to have a machine shop make some out of stainless steel.

Might want to check if the 1+5/8” is the interface dimension or inside diameter of the bottom bracket; and maybe take measurements in millimeters with digital calipers?
Not sure if parts of any other makers of small BB bicycles — IJ; GWM/Fauber; Colson (lug frame); foreign bikes; or even older OPC Westfield bicycles might be compatible?

I have been thinking of using a contemporary cartridge bearing for the drive sides of old bikes. It seems like a simple sleeve could be machined for the press fit and the bearing would just need to have the correct ID & OD. There have been a few for the BMX bikes over the last 25 years or so. I have found that old BBs just aren't meant to be ridden very hard. I have worn them out in a single ride.

Back