When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Westfield M4 Men’s Riadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim DeSoto

On Training Wheels
First off, what an awesome and informative site! I’m Jim and haven’t gotten too into collecting until recently.

I've picked up this Westfield/Columbia M4. Could anyone tell me what the chainring is from? The left pedal is wood. Also...it currently has 26” wheels off my early ‘60’s Coast King/Huffman. I believe the originals were 28”.

So, I’m looking for info on the correct chainring/crankset, the rims, the pedals, and the handlebars. Any help is appreciated!

3F167F1B-BB9F-4962-957E-C3F716479079.jpeg

AB14350E-AA64-4B0F-9890-DE04C6CA14DA.jpeg

9ADC22A2-304D-4EF6-B397-C4F832C9CF5C.jpeg

70073C42-AC4B-47A9-82B0-A1FDBF90FB55.jpeg

8A65D256-D098-49EA-BB4B-1B9BA4B4C5C5.jpeg

nice bicycle, I am kind of partial to that frame design.

My 1929 has the 1 inch pitch chain ring, I like that 1/2 pitch chain ring on yours, a much easier and less expensive chain to replace when the time comes.

My 29 originally had wood rims on it, now it has alloy 700c rims, the tires measure out to 28x1-1/2 (700x38c)

Hi There,

Nice early Westfield. Thanks for providing the serial number, I've recently started gathering these.

"The left pedal is wood. "

The blocks, or perhaps the entire pedal could be WW2 (1942-45) utility 'blackout', made without war-scarce rubber.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi There,

Nice early Westfield. Thanks for providing the serial number, I've recently started gathering these.

"The left pedal is wood. "

The blocks, or perhaps the entire pedal could be WW2 (1942-45) utility 'blackout', made without war-scarce rubber.

Best Regards,

Adrian

THANK YOU for the pedal info!

nice bicycle, I am kind of partial to that frame design.

My 1929 has the 1 inch pitch chain ring, I like that 1/2 pitch chain ring on yours, a much easier and less expensive chain to replace when the time comes.

My 29 originally had wood rims on it, now it has alloy 700c rims, the tires measure out to 28x1-1/2 (700x38c)

View attachment 1139105
Do you think my chainring is original? I’ve seen several other older bikes that weren’t skip-tooth...

Nice find. The 1/2 inch chain ring might be original. Take a look at the 1918 Sears catalog page I found online in post #15 of this thread. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/help-iding-this-bike.163792/#post-1107607.

The 1918 catalog describes the Elgins having 1/2 inch pitch chain while the 1922 catalog lists 1 inch pitch chain. Since companies like Sears and Montgomery Wards changed suppliers/manufactures you may have the original chainring.

That look like it will be a nice rider. Best of luck with the information hunt.

Do you think my chainring is original? I’ve seen several other older bikes that weren’t skip-tooth...
It very well could be, I know that on New Departure coaster brakes, the standard cog was for 1" pitch, you could order the alternative 1/2" pitch.

The speed chain (1/2") is a great chain in my opinion.

Also, as far as the pedals, the ones that were on my bike when I got it, were Torrington 10

Back