When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923 Iver Johnson? 24”(wheels)?

-

s1b

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’m not 100% doubting the owner. Maybe this bike has been posted here. I’m not sure.
Does this look like a boys(kid) bike?
1B6441F1-75E0-49D9-AF41-87E86E000D5A.jpeg
14E723BE-02F9-462E-9A46-C1165E8F7AD5.jpeg

In my opinion that looks like a pre-21, Iver Johnson, Model 90 Truss Frame Road Racer. It may appear to be a "kids or boy's bike as it is the small (20") frame. The wheelset may have been changed out and the fork throws things off a bit as it should be Nickel plated, but other than that it looks pretty darn good. Given the chance, It would take me between 5 and 6 seconds to buy it if the price was reasonable..............................................and maybe 15 to 20 seconds if were priced a little high.
Pete in Fitchburg

The saddle looks huge. I looked up the Model 90 and it looks very close.

Do you know how many teeth are on the sprocket? I have seen some of the early 24 inch wheel boys' bikes from this era and they often have 22 tooth sprockets. Full size bikes usually have 26 tooth sprockets. Womens' may have 24 teeth. You might can use that as a gauge of if it is really a 24 inch-wheeled bike. Here is a photograph of an Emblem Brand bike I bought recently; some of you folks may have even seen it for sale. It is a good example of how an early 24 inch wheel boys bike may appear. The seat is about half as large as a full size long-spring seat. The Iver Johnson looks like it might be full sized to me, but I'm not certain.

1- Note Tiller Handlebars.jpg

Last edited:
Saddle may have been replaced..........................chainring looks like one used on the earlier model 90 racers, usually 22 tooth. I have several with the same chainring.............here is a pic of one and here is a link to the bike. http://boulderartgallery.com/Iver_Johnson_Bicycle_Collection/IverJohnson_Page_4.html Pete in Fitchburg

View attachment 1052709
Thanks Pete, I’m going to talk to the guy today on the phone. Not sure if he’ll ship it. Hoping he does. We don’t find bikes of that era here in Florida.

The saddle does look pretty large, but that aside, the bike looks a lot like my 28" wheeled 1912 Model 90, though this one is probably a few years newer.

Reactions: s1b
Back