When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1925 Columbia Motorbike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a 1923 Columbia in very similar condition to yours that I will very soon be starting on. I have a question as to the oxalic acid bath. Did you soak the wheels considering they are metal clad wood? What was the ratio of acid to water used in your bath? Thank you.

Robert

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have a 1923 Columbia in very similar condition to yours that I will very soon be starting on. I have a question as to the oxalic acid bath. Did you soak the wheels considering they are metal clad wood? What was the ratio of acid to water used in your bath? Thank you.

Robert

My wheels were wood so I didn't soak them. It shouldn't hurt the wood though--if anything it will make the wood brighter. The other name for OA is wood bleach and is used to clean decks and such. Personally I don't measure I just dump about a cup full in a Walmart kiddie pool. This stuff is actually pretty mild. I put my hands in it to turn stuff over and no harm done. That said I do rinse my hands afterwords and don't soak in the stuff. V/r Shawn

A little truth in lending here. After the OA bath I hit it lightly with some WD40 and 0000 steel wool, wiped it down good, and put a coat of good carnuba wax on it to bring the color out more and protect it. The key to doing one of these is don't rush it and test anything you use in an inconspicuous place first. V/r Shawn

My wheels were wood so I didn't soak them. It shouldn't hurt the wood though--if anything it will make the wood brighter. The other name for OA is wood bleach and is used to clean decks and such. Personally I don't measure I just dump about a cup full in a Walmart kiddie pool. This stuff is actually pretty mild. I put my hands in it to turn stuff over and no harm done. That said I do rinse my hands afterwords and don't soak in the stuff. V/r Shawn
I was concerned that the wood may swell causing distortion. I guess it would depend on how long the wheels would stay in the bath. What was your average time for soaking the frame?

I was concerned that the wood may swell causing distortion. I guess it would depend on how long the wheels would stay in the bath. What was your average time for soaking the frame?

I generally leave it in overnight but to be honest I think most of the work is done within a few hours. I would probably not leave the wheels in for more than about four hours. V/r Shawn

I generally leave it in overnight but to be honest I think most of the work is done within a few hours. I would probably not leave the wheels in for more than about four hours. V/r Shawn
Thank you sir for the advice. I'm sure I'll be posting on here later my outcome

Why not start a thread now showing the before and post progress as you go? V/r Shawn
I will do that once I get started. I enjoyed watching your bike transform from the beginning to what it is today. To be honest I was shocked. Makes you realize, don't give up on the original finish until you have exhausted all options.

Back