When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1926 Schwinn Excelsior Truss Frame

-

Joshua Kent

Look Ma, No Hands!
D272D887-4401-4290-8CAE-D54CDB522BDE.jpeg
9423D151-BB4B-4F03-B968-45C923C62D09.jpeg
9ABF4A67-C40B-48B0-A3FC-0D6D9DF6C816.jpeg
5D40EE07-F81B-4F9B-B254-78EE623FC79D.jpeg
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1926 Schwinn Excelsior Truss Frame I need help with. Looking to sell this however I don’t know the value, was told it’s all original except for the pedals and possibly tire pump not either. Mostly I am unsure what else could be original or not.

Welcome to the cabe. Looks like an older repaint to me. Whoever painted the handlebars, stem, truss rods, fender braces and several places on the frame with grey spray paint, should not have done that, as that will hurt the value some. Hopefully whoever buys it will be able to remove that spray paint without too much trouble.
The badge is very cool.
I would guess the value to be around $800 give or take. Maybe more because it's a truss frame. But, see what other members think and go from there.

Welcome Joshua. Very nice Excelsior, love the colors. I am no expert but I am thinking old repaint. Others who know more than me will chime in.

Thank you both for chiming in on this. I was afraid it was a repaint job, I wonder if I can strip it and polish everything. Would that hurt the value as well?

Thank you both for chiming in on this. I was afraid it was a repaint job, I wonder if I can strip it and polish everything. Would that hurt the value as well?
I would use goof off and Rags or OoOo steel wool on the chrome. Maybe if it’s spray paint mineral spirits and a rag. I wouldn’t mess with the fenders or frame unless you want to spend tons of money on the restoration. Looks like a pretty cool bike.

I would use goof off and Rags or OoOo steel wool on the chrome. Maybe if it’s spray paint mineral spirits and a rag. I wouldn’t mess with the fenders or frame unless you want to spend tons of money on the restoration. Looks like a pretty cool bike.

Sounds like quite a bit of work for something that looks IMO pretty decent. Someone spent some serious time redoing it if indeed it was redone. I shall wait for more reply’s on others with knowledge

Like Zach said, I wouldn't mess with the frame, fenders ect. But removing paint from areas that it don't belong (bars, stem, fender braces) would make it more appealing. Or leave it for the next guy, it's up to you. Just realize you might take a price hit due to those areas if you decide to sell it as is.

Myself, I would not strip the paint on the frame + fenders. Get the paint of the chrome and I would leave it. I think it looks pretty decent for the repaint. Keep us posted.

If you decide to sell I would list it on here first! There’s a great classifieds section :).

The chrome pieces would take just a little elbow grease. And would look much better. Just my opinion!

Back