When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 Westfield Camel Back Model 9

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sthpawil

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello, I am trying to identify what I believe to be a 1927 Westfield Camel Back bicycle. Attached are pictures of the serial number (located on underside of bottom bracket), skip tooth sprocket, seat, and head tube. As you can see, the badge is missing.

This was a barn find that appears to be nearly 100% complete, aside from the missing tires. The wheels consist of steel rims with wooden liners.

Frame measured approx 17.25", Rims were approx 23" diameter (1.3125" external width, 1.000" internal width), skip tooth sprocket approx 7.5" diameter.

Anyone have an idea as to what it might be?

Thank you!

Westfield Bike.jpg

Westfield Head Tube.jpg

Westfield Seat.jpg

Westfield Serial Number E1xxxx edit.jpg

Westfield Skip Tooth Sprocket.jpg

Last edited:
With 26” wheels the bicycle would be the juvenile version of the 28” junior roadster.
In adjacent state was Shapleigh hardware, who sold Westfield bicycles in the 1920’s.
If you find a Westfield or store head badge that fits, maybe just go with that.

I did a little more peeking around on the bike.

The badge mounting holes are approx 1-13/16" centers, with the right side about 1/8" lower than the left. The ghost image shows that the badge was approx 2-5/8" tall x 2-1/4" wide (wrapped around).

The rear hub is a New Departure Model A, Made in USA. I found where Model A was used from 1903-1928, so that kinda solidifies that it is a 1927 Westfield/Shapleigh.

Archie - thank you for the info. I am now looking into the Shapleigh vs Westfield details. The diamond shape on the end of the pedals seems to correspond with Shapleigh, but the ghost image of the badge seems to hint at a Westfield badge (partial arch at top, pointed bottom). Do either of those details mean anything?

The hunt for a badge begins.

PXL_20210913_130926822.jpg

PXL_20210913_130937258.jpg

PXL_20210913_132938585.jpg

PXL_20210913_134600488.jpg

PXL_20210912_174703418~2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, @sthpawil

Yes, 1927, but I can't tell you anything more, as you blacked out the frame number. First time I've seen that done. But otherwise, thank you for the dtailed photos, nicely done.

It's possibly similar to this 1931 24 inch, apart from the brake.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi, @sthpawil

Yes, 1927, but I can't tell you anything more, as you blacked out the frame number. First time I've seen that done. But otherwise, thank you for the dtailed photos, nicely done.

It's possibly similar to this 1931 24 inch, apart from the brake.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you Adrian. Here is the complete serial number: Model 9, S/N E10421

PXL_20210912_174436962.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @sthpawil

Thank you (-: That was unexpected., I appreciate it.

During this period Westfield were building 60 to 70,000 bikes a year, so this was probably mid first quarter of 1927.

The Great Depression was just around the corner in 1929, and money for things like children's bikes was to become scarce. For this reason, and because we're looking at bikes froom over 90 years ago, survivors to this period are fairly unusual.

I only have one other Westfield from 1927 recorded at the moment, not much use to you, but you can see they were using the same number stamps, about halfway down the page after the discussion on the 1926 bike. It doesn't have the Diamond 9 stamp of yours, and I'm not sure what that is.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @sthpawil

I only have one other Westfield from 1927 recorded at the moment, not much use to you, but you can see they were using the same number stamps, about halfway down the page after the discussion on the 1926 bike. It doesn't have the Diamond 9 stamp of yours, and I'm not sure what that is.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Adrian and Archie,

I found this tidbit on ratrodbikes.com via member Phil Fink in a post from 2015: "Through patience and further searches, I found (on eBay) some 1929 catalog pages for the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis MO. The catalog showed both a special truss fork and a three (3) hole chain wheel sprocket. So I now believe that my new 90-year old Westfield-built Motobike was most likely badged as a Shapleigh Motor Bike. Their catalog mentioned other “badges” such as Cyco, Diamond (edge), Nonpareil (french), Rugby, Wonder, and Vassar (college)."

Apparently Shapleigh Hardware had a Diamond or Diamond Edge model. That would certainly help explain the diamonds around the model number and the diamond shape of the cap at the end of the pedals.

Last edited:
Back