When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927ish Iver Johnson 90b track racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think I really like the Bronze as well! How about the Maroon or Green as stated in the ‘28 catalog, any pics of those anyone? Thanks for the pics Pete!

Yeah I follow you on that one. Like the bars that are on the bike now are very nice. I really only like the MT stem because of the history he had with IJ. Having the MT stem brings it to life a little bit for me. Still though I’m unsure on the exact direction I will go. Thank you for your input, and I welcome any more that you might have! I have color decisions on my mind at the moment going by the 1928 catalog as I stated above. Appreciate your thoughts! Anthony

I totally agree and you made a good point about MT and Iver, something that i didnt think about. It does also look very nice to dress up a bike with a MT stem and it's not like anyone will race the bike!!!! So weight is no issue.
Max

Here is a 1927 Iver Johnson Model 90 Road Racer in green.................I kind of like the green. Pete in Fitchburg

#1 1927 Racer.jpg

#5 1927 Racer.jpg

Here is a 1917 Iver Johnson Model 90A Special Racer in Maroon..................Not the best pics of the color, but you can get the general idea. Bike needs a lot of attention but is basically complete.......... Pete in Fitchburg

#4.jpg

#7.jpg

#8.jpg

Wow Pete that’s awesome, thanks for the pics! Anyone have a vote for the color of my build?? Yet to determine what it came with originally. Your opinion matters, thanks! Anthony

On my free time today, I was Googleing pictures from the 1924, 1928 and 1932 Olympics (Cycling) to see how many racers had MT type stems and adjustable bars.
In the quick search that I did, barely any racing bikes in the time period pictures had MT type stems and I didn't see a single set of adjustable handlebars.
I don't know if the MT type stem was mostly used in the USA, but the USA did not earn a single cycling medal in all 3 Olympics.
I didn't do an exhaustive search, just a quick scan of the pictures, so I am sure there are more examples out there.
But then, when you see some of the racer's restored bicycles in museum pictures (through the same general search), they seem to all have a MT type stem added (I guess it's all for dressing up the bikes to look more "racing") Bling sells tickets!

Fun fact : The USA won all the cycling medals in the 1904 Olympics. The USA was the only country with racers in the cycling events for 1904 ;)

Last edited:
Not all but most pics I’ve seen of MT he has an adjustable stem. Most other racers do not have the adjustable stem in this time period. I’m only guessing but maybe this is why the adjustable stem is most commonly referred to as a Major Taylor stem. I like that you are digging a little bit, I love to learn the history. Maybe I will do the same. Thanks for the post! Anthony
A0BCAF98-E229-482E-BA8D-8DFCF4EC2586.jpeg

72051AB4-70CE-4C67-AC1C-F5D25F62F26D.jpeg

9455EB8C-274A-4680-BC5F-A1E9DD676D7A.jpeg

Along with being a phenomenal athlete and by all accounts I've read, an exceptional human being, Major Taylor was also an inventor. It's quite possible that stem design is his own, which would also explain him using it.

Along with being a phenomenal athlete and by all accounts I've read, an exceptional human being, Major Taylor was also an inventor. It's quite possible that stem design is his own, which would also explain him using it.
That is what I am wondering as well. It would sure be nice to find more information on this. Anthony

Back