When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927ish Iver Johnson 90b track racer

-
I think those CB Italia wood wheels with the "High V" profile would work and look very nice. 98% of the people looking at your restoration would think they look like the originals. The features that throw things off a bit for me are the rather "flat" looking sides of the wheel, a little different from the originals, and the CB Italia stamp. Given the difficulty of finding a usable set of 40 x 32 spoke wheels I think this is a good alternative. Pic attached is difficult to see but it is a set of Fairbanks Boston High V wheels to compare them to. Pete in Fitchburg
View attachment 868818

View attachment 868819
Yes I had the same thought about the flat sides and stamping. However, if you look closely the stamp it actually looks like a sticker, to me at least? As for the round sides, I might be able to sand the edge just a little bit in order to round it slightly. Not sure about that just a thought. I would have to examine it more carefully and compare to the original before attempting to do so. Also I can get the rims unfinished so that won’t be an issue. I knew you were the man to talk to about such technicalities concerning the CL, hence the reason I tagged you in the post. I will likely decide to go with this set but I will look some more. Thanks again Pete!!

D117EFF5-1F42-4080-9AD9-3EC526F293E1.jpeg

74E5CB3B-5608-4C11-B81C-E0819416D364.jpeg

Mine's a sticker. There's also a sticker by the valve saying not to inflate over 55 psi (non-reinforced clinchers). Yours is a couple years later, so it may have changed and, really, nobody will know, so go whatever style you like best IMO, but in the interest of helping, my Iver's originals(?) had a round profile tubeless rim. Basically, what I got from CB Italia, but if the flat sides were cut down, leaving just the rounded crown. Originals:

1185574_10151653158373191_328801925_n.jpg

1150323_10151653158478191_792012197_n.jpg

As an aside, my and two adjacent towns had a bunch of gas main explosions causing over 70 fires (somehow only one fatality, though still sad—18 year old kid sitting in his car got crushed by a falling chimney), so they evacuated the whole town. I got the kids out, grabbed my computer and a laundry basket full of clothes, set the Iver and my USAAF bike (my most comfortable and versatile one and it was near the garage door) outside in the yard far enough from the house and behind a tree that it would probably be OK if it blew up, and left. Nothing blew up and the bikes were fine. We live in the woods on a fairly hidden 1/4 mile drive surrounded by unswimmable ponds and woods, so I wasn't worried about theft. Point is, in a pinch, the first object I looked to save after my laptop, which just comes with me, was the Iver.

My old "Special Racer" ...

View attachment 868923
Boy that’s a good looking Racer! I love the forward rake of the top tube, and that appears to be the green one as well. I think I’ve made up my mind and will be going with the green on the 90b. However it is a lot brighter new , but I think it’s going to be a beautiful bike. Thanks for the pic. Sweet Racer. Anthony

Mine's a sticker. There's also a sticker by the valve saying not to inflate over 55 psi (non-reinforced clinchers). Yours is a couple years later, so it may have changed and, really, nobody will know, so go whatever style you like best IMO, but in the interest of helping, my Iver's originals(?) had a round profile tubeless rim. Basically, what I got from CB Italia, but if the flat sides were cut down, leaving just the rounded crown. Originals:

View attachment 868876

View attachment 868877

As an aside, my and two adjacent towns had a bunch of gas main explosions causing over 70 fires (somehow only one fatality, though still sad—18 year old kid sitting in his car got crushed by a falling chimney), so they evacuated the whole town. I got the kids out, grabbed my computer and a laundry basket full of clothes, set the Iver and my USAAF bike (my most comfortable and versatile one and it was near the garage door) outside in the yard far enough from the house and behind a tree that it would probably be OK if it blew up, and left. Nothing blew up and the bikes were fine. We live in the woods on a fairly hidden 1/4 mile drive surrounded by unswimmable ponds and woods, so I wasn't worried about theft. Point is, in a pinch, the first object I looked to save after my laptop, which just comes with me, was the Iver.
Sure glad you are around to tell the story, wow that’s must of been an awful experience. Really cool that you thought to save the bike as well! Of course we all would if given the chance. Also very sad when lives are lost. I live here in California and we have our share of wild fires. I’ve been evacuated a few times once for 14 days... Thanks for all the great wheel feedback. Not exactly sure if I want to go clincher or not? It would be nice to have a decent ride on occasion but I haven’t really made up my mind?? Does anyone have any thoughts on that, clincher or solid tube for originality?? Anthony

Back