When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1928 Schwinn Rat Rod Rider

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OC_Rolling_Art

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up this 20's Schwinn from Pete @onecatahula last October and after pulling the bike from it's bomb-proof packing, I stowed it in the garage, figuring I'd make a beach boardwalk cruiser out of it someday... Thanks Pete!
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1920s-schwinn-project.160989/

It came with clad wooden wheels that seemed serviceable, maybe just needing some spokes tightened up and a little truing, but I had been reading here on the CABE about many here using some modern Blunt 35's which are a strong aluminum wheel with a profile that is very close to the original wood wheels. I had to get some of those.

I had been lurking over at Rad Rod Bikes for years, admiring a slightly different culture, especially the talent shown by builders in the annual build offs, now in their 15th year. I never had the time since I have always worked overtime at my job for the last 13 years but when I saw in June that the 15th Annual Build Off had begun May 1st and builds are due September 1st, I figured I have the time to enter this (pandemic) year so I did. Being a big fan of the custom car culture born in the '50's in Southern California, and hot rods in general this whole bike things for me just dovetails in with my love of antiques, industrial design, and vintage motorcycles and bicycles - with bikes being my main focus starting as a teenager mostly because that's what I could afford. Anyways, there is a link to the build-off build off thread below, but here is a brief snap shot of how this bike has evolved.

It has a great patina so my intention was to leave it like it is. This is how I got it:
9E1BA241-5489-4BD1-A6A4-AF42AAD8EAD0.jpeg

4A806DC3-865D-489F-9AFE-80850307E84A.jpeg

And this is how it has begun to take shape...
It will have 12v LED lighting running off of a Lipo battery used for RC airplanes, Woody's fenders, modern 28" wheels and hubs. Should be a fun rider.

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

More to come, I have less than a month to finish!

Last edited:
I picked up this 20's Schwinn from Pete @onecatahula last October and after pulling the bike from it's bomb-proof packing, I stowed it in the garage, figuring I'd make a beach boardwalk cruiser out of it someday... Thanks Pete!
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1920s-schwinn-project.160989/

It came with clad wooden wheels that seemed serviceable, maybe just needing some spokes tightened up and a little truing, but I had been reading here on the CABE about many here using some modern Blunt 35's which are a strong aluminum wheel with a profile that is very close to the original wood wheels. I had to get some of those.

I had been lurking over at Rad Rod Bikes for years, admiring a slightly different culture, especially the talent shown by builders in the annual build offs, now in their 15th year. I never had the time since I have always worked overtime at my job for the last 13 years but when I saw in June that the 15th Annual Build Off had begun May 1st and builds are due September 1st, I figured I have the time to enter this (pandemic) year so I did. Being a big fan of the custom car culture born in the '50's in Southern California, and hot rods in general this whole bike things for me just dovetails in with my love of antiques, industrial design, and vintage motorcycles and bicycles - with bikes being my main focus starting as a teenager mostly because that's what I could afford. Anyways, there is a link to the build-off build off thread below, but here is a brief snap shot of how this bike has evolved.

It has a great patina so my intention was to leave it like it is. This is how I got it:
View attachment 1239972
View attachment 1239974

And this is how it has begun to take shape...
It will have 12v LED lighting running off of a Lipo battery used for RC airplanes, Woody's fenders, modern 28" wheels and hubs. Should be a fun rider.

View attachment 1239979
View attachment 1239981
View attachment 1239983
View attachment 1239985
View attachment 1239987View attachment 1239989
View attachment 1239991
View attachment 1239992
View attachment 1239993View attachment 1239994
View attachment 1239995
View attachment 1239996
View attachment 1239997
View attachment 1239998

More to come, I have less than a month to finish!
Sweet looking ride. Wow .

I had not posted about this one lately, as I was putting this one together for the 15th Annual Build Off across the street at Rat Rod Bikes and adding details a few times a week. The deadline was yesterday and I just made it. The bike is fast and the ride is a bit better than I could have hoped. I think it has to do with the Blunt 35's and the thinner tire with more PSI, as I have been riding 26" ballooners since the 80's; these are refreshing to ride on is all I can say. I am already building a second set of wheels and will just wait for the right teens or 20's frame-set to come along. Building bikes is fun as we all know, but when there is a deadline involved there are some long days.

Off to the next build! Already chucked in the bike stand, a new thread for it is coming.

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.42.19 AM.png

IMG_3344.jpg