When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930 Hartford by Westfield Mfg/Pope

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hey catfish...i came along a advertising in a early bike mag. that page was refering to the "STANDARD COMPANY" in Torrington,Conn. they were selling no.5 star racing pedal , diamond E spokes and standard pedals as regular equipment.My question is: did standard become Torrinton?....bd

The Standard Company name appeared around 1900 after Torrington Swaging was renamed Standard Spoke and Nipple which subsequently was renamed Standard Company. Torrington had several plants, and Standard was one of them.

Last edited:
Made a little bit of progress this past week & weekend. Finished the fenders & fork with several coats of carnauba wax, they look great & are ready to go on the bike. Finally got the frame fully degreased & hand rubbed out. It is almost ready for a couple of coats of wax and reassembly. This bike had some kind of black crap (looked like a mixture of oil & coal) all over the fenders and top of the frame & took a lot more rubbing out than I had hoped it would take being careful not to go thru the original paint which was thin in spots. There was no choice if I wanted to bring back some of the brilliance of the original color and this decision cost me the original pinstripes or what little was left of them. I knew it would going in. I did have good pics of them and measured the distance they went out past the white darts. Since I started the fenders last year I had a year to make a difficult decision on the pinstripes, to leave it without them or reapply. I know purists hate any repainting but my choice was to reapply them, I look at them the same as many look at new decals. They were original to the bike & needed to be re-applied. They are handpainted & coming out great and I used a very light coat of black "1 Shot" sign painter's paint. They will be exactly as they were originally. I thought about distressing them to match the bike but hate fake stuff so they will be left alone. To the purists, please reserve judgement until you see the finished product as this bike is all original paint except those pinstripes.

The rear ducktail portion of the front fender was completely mangled with the left side being completely bent under. I got the section straightened losing a little paint in the progress but it looks pretty good using an auto body work hammer, my trusty section of railroad, some specialized vice grips, and some wood blocks some of which were shaped to mimic the fender form. I made a decision here when I got it fairly straight to leave it alone rather than lose more paint. I think it came out pretty good. Definitely a lot better than it was.

I started final polishing 3 metal parts this week. Got the 2 crank bearing cups out and polished today when I was working on the frame. I started on the Persons rear reflector last week & I'll detail that little project with some pics as I restore it. The glass was broken in the housing & needed to be addressed so I disassembled it & will completely restore it (or attempt to). All the glass is there, all the little balls that come through the housing are good except one, but the glass is broken into about a dozen different pieces. They will be puzzled & carefully glued back together & then polished. The housing is polishing up nicely.

The rain came this evening before I could get any pics so I'll try to take some of the progress this week.

Killer thread, Gary

This is fun to read this and to know that I'm not the only one who goes through all of the same

obsessive machinations concerning antique bicycles that I do. The ride of the Ghisallo rims is

truly elegant. Be careful to watch your tire pressure too. Not too much, not too little!

I sent you a PM...

This is fun to read this and to know that I'm not the only one who goes through all of the same

obsessive machinations concerning antique bicycles that I do. The ride of the Ghisallo rims is

truly elegant. Be careful to watch your tire pressure too. Not too much, not too little!

I sent you a PM...

Larmo, Got the PM and replied yes. THANK YOU on the PM & the nice note here. Yeah, I feel like I turn on an obsessive compulsive mode somewhere deep in me every time I work on either of the 2 antique bikes I have started, LOL. But I enjoy every minute of it.

columbia modelA9

columbia moto.JPG
Larmo, Got the PM and replied yes. THANK YOU on the PM & the nice note here. Yeah, I feel like I turn on an obsessive compulsive mode somewhere deep in me every time I work on either of the 2 antique bikes I have started, LOL. But I enjoy every minute of it.

My thurdy turd try at posting a bike pix

View attachment 64178

My thurdy turd try at posting a bike pix

Bill, Thank you very much for posting the 1923 Motobike pic, it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! You did a great job with it. I love the Berkshire Blue color and that is the planned color for my arch bar. A Westfield built cigar tank motobike is next on my want list now that I have a camelback, an arch bar, & a tankless motobike on the way (1927 Stutz). I have promised myself to finish these before I start that search though. The tank versions like yours seem to be fairly rare, I have only found a few pics of them on the internet. It almost seems the cigar tank Indians are more common (both Hendee & Westfield versions) than Columbia's. Again congratulations on a great restoration & a great bike.

Here are pics of the progress last weekend & today. Today I finished the pinstripes on the frame & got some photos of progress just in time as we are now receiving more afternoon rain showers. I think the pinstripes came out great and am very happy I added them back. I know it's a personal decision purists would never agree on but to me this bike would have never been "complete" without them. Anyway all the painted parts are finished except waxing the frame which I'll wait till next weekend so the pinstripe paint dries good. Then I'll final polish all the chrome/metal parts as I go during reassembly which hopefully will start next weekend as well.

New pinstripes are visible in all these pics. I laid down a "really" light coat of black paint so they look almost original.

IMG_0605-1.jpg

Below left you can see the scratch outlines where the original rear reflector on the rear fender and how it appeared to have been flush mount to the fender thus the choice on the Persons reflector that will be going on the bike. On the right you can see the straightened rear ducktail of the front fender and all the paint lost just getting it this straight and clean as it was in really bad shape. The left side was completely mangled and bent back on itself underside which also deformed the whole rear of the fender. I am happy with it as is although there was a lot of paint loss in this area.

IMG_0603-1.jpg

IMG_0609-1.jpg

IMG_0608-1.jpg

IMG_0607-1.jpg

That's one beautiful restoration on a beautiful bike, Bill!

Y'all,
I'm glad y'all like the 23 columbia A-9.that bike was restored about 10 yrs. ago... a while back i picked up an orig. 23 columbia camel back A-7......

Attachments

• model 7 coumbia 001.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 116
  • model 7 coumbia 002.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 002.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 100
  • model 7 coumbia 003.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 003.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 96
  • model 7 coumbia 004.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 004.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 110
  • model 7 coumbia 005.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 005.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 94
  • model 7 coumbia 006.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 006.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 95
  • model 7 coumbia 007.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 007.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 102
  • model 7 coumbia 009.jpg
    model 7 coumbia 009.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 92
Y'all,
I'm glad y'all like the 23 columbia A-9.that bike was restored about 10 yrs. ago... a while back i picked up an orig. 23 columbia camel back A-7......

Bill, That's another great Columbia & thanks for sharing. You are getting the hang of attaching photos. I love the original paint & decals, they are in great condition!!!! These camelbacks don't get enough love in my opinion. Nice to see someone else valuing them too. You have a great pair of 23's. I may use one of your camelback pics to help me pick out the color on my arch bar. Hope my two 30's come out that nice!!!! Thanks. - Gary

Back