When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930s-40s Excelsior

-

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked this one up today. Serial #106042, if anyone has insight on Excelsior- what year this was made, etc doesn’t seem to be the normal tonnage of information on this company.

00D4A678-9526-47A8-8CFE-3D5AA20D91E8.jpeg

99240958-EAFA-4903-88AC-D8B77CF07CAA.jpeg

BD054B63-37B7-4F33-A956-BC31D236C60F.jpeg

C20C52CD-6033-407A-B11C-5DF0755F43FC.jpeg

MCI head badge and a 6-H DP Harris New York City Rollfast chain ring; Snyder bought into the Excelsior company in the early 1930’s. If the chain ring has 24 teeth, it may have been swapped for a 26. Rollfast called theirs a “sport motobike”.

Last edited:
“Tanks” for the info everyone. Looks like I have a new set of tires and a couple of missing parts to source. I will post to the wanted page too but if anyone has a set of tanks for this I would be interested.

“Tanks” for the info everyone. Looks like I have a new set of tires and a couple of missing parts to source. I will post to the wanted page too but if anyone has a set of tanks for this I would be interested.
I highly doubt this came equipped with a tank since not many of these did. It would be near impossible to find one that matches, so in my opinion it would take away from this wonderful survivor. I don't see any witness marks from tank straps either. After a full service, new tires and a very light cleaning it'll make a great original rider.:cool:

looks 1940 to me:
fenders & braces
wheels appear orig, and hub has 1940s brake arm
saddle design is 1940+, although they were made into the 1950s so could be a replacement.
serial #

How many head badge holes are there, 4; (might be easier to see on a real computer)? The accent dart paint looks like the more deluxe style, often furnished with "Rollfast" head badges, in the greater "Rollfast" product line by DP Harris. The white behind the head badge makes it look like the Excelsior badge has been there for quite some while. Does the seat mast tube (front) have any additional labelling?

How many head badge holes are there, 4; (might be easier to see on a real computer)? The accent dart paint looks like the more deluxe style, often furnished with "Rollfast" head badges, in the greater "Rollfast" product line by DP Harris. The white behind the head badge makes it look like the Excelsior badge has been there for quite some while. Does the seat mast tube (front) have any additional labelling?

2 holes, no additional markings or numbers on the seat tube.

Sorry for slow reply. 2 hole badge, nothing else on seat tube except part of this decal (see photo).

41592DD0-7170-4230-8B99-E21329407AF9.jpeg

McClune V74 Sport Motobike.JPG

Looks like the Rollfast Model, and in a darker Burgundy Red color.
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle194/picture660
Similar to the Deluxe, (less tank).
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle194
Also, looks like a New York badge was swapped-out for the Indiana (or Indonesian?) head badge.
Headbadge 4-H Rollfast.jpg Excelsior 11.jpg
Is a probably good thing that extra holes were not drilled into the head badge, to try to fit the existing holes in the frame.

Back