When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930s-40s Excelsior

-
Almost back together...so the 2nd and 3rd pictures convince me that this was not re-badged. I took apart the bottom bracket at it was a real hodge podge of parts. 2 different bearing manufacturers. I'm thinking that the chainring and possibly crank might not be original. If it isn't a Harris bicycle, what kind of chain ring would this have had? I have a period-correct but possibly not model correct lower end in the mail to me but I only want to re-asseble this once.

there was an interesting earlier discussion the history of Excelsior of Michigan City, Indiana below:

Anyway, learned opinions always appreciated...T

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6240.JPG

Almost back together...so the 2nd and 3rd pictures convince me that this was not re-badged. I took apart the bottom bracket at it was a real hodge podge of parts. 2 different bearing manufacturers. I'm thinking that the chainring and possibly crank might not be original. If it isn't a Harris bicycle, what kind of chain ring would this have had? I have a period-correct but possibly not model correct lower end in the mail to me but I only want to re-asseble this once.

there was an interesting earlier discussion the history of Excelsior of Michigan City, Indiana below:

Anyway, learned opinions always appreciated...T

View attachment 1099796

View attachment 1099797

View attachment 1099798

Looks great!

Finally back together. Went for the shakeout cruise this afternoon- there was some technical difficulties on the ride back where the rear hub innards tried to unscrew themselves but I will sort that out. Anyway, will be on the lookout for a few more period accessories and a drop stand for less than a Ben Franklin but overall pretty happy with it and it didn’t fall into the water so...win.

E4564C2D-FC5A-47F0-BBBD-9FCC69CDFC09.jpeg

02FC98D7-5029-4392-BFE5-414EA468F47B.jpeg

Finally back together. Went for the shakeout cruise this afternoon- there was some technical difficulties on the ride back where the rear hub innards tried to unscrew themselves but I will sort that out. Anyway, will be on the lookout for a few more period accessories and a drop stand for less than a Ben Franklin but overall pretty happy with it and it didn’t fall into the water so...win.

View attachment 1107019

View attachment 1107020

Back