When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930s or 1940s Bauer Bicycle Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jeffs Bikes

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up this Bauer bicycle from a woman who’s father was in Germany for WW2 and after. I know it’s a German engineered bicycle but does anyone have any more information on this bicycle. What would you say the value of a bicycle like this would be?

-----

Thank you for posting.

This appears to be a model called the Aero.

If you open this catalogue pdf of 1950 and scroll down you will find it.

Cycle may well be a bit earlier but this is the closest in time catalogue was able to locate...

The chainset appears to be a Thun.

This pattern lady's frame is termed a double col de cygne.

Bauer a major German maker. They were famous for their successful racing bicycles.

-----

-----

addendum(b) -

have sent a notice to forum member @non-fixie on this bicycle. he should be able to share with you some helpful information. ;)

-----

Interesting find! The lack of wingnuts makes me think it's a Tourenrad, Modell I or II, rather than an Aero. I know too little about German bicycles to be able to date it with any accuracy. The cadre double col de cygne, or in this case, Schwanenhalsrahmen, was used for many decades.

See if you can find a serial number, and check it against this graph. It should give you a reasonable estimate of its age:

1k0.jpg

German bikes were virtually unchanged for decades- that style of bike was built into the 1970's. If the rear hub is a Torpedo it should have a date on the hub, and if early enough, some interior components. What are the handgrips made of? Pre war in Germany was usually celluloid, then bakelite. Rubber arrived postwar. In the NSDAP era German bikes for the domestic market were Mennonite plain- you'd only see darts on bikes for export.

Back