When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931hudson ladies

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dale13

On Training Wheels
OK guys you got me hot does anybody have info on this one I can’t find one help thank you so much for all your efforts

Hi, @Dale13

No one else has replied yet, so I thought I would.

I can confirm its a J 1931 Westfield produced bike. It's rare in that they didn't produce mant that year, and very few of those have survived (in fact, this is the only 1931 I have listed at the moment).

It seems to be mostly, or all, original parts, cetainly the chainwheel, stand etc. are.

Westfield produced bikes under many names, and it could be this is one that they bought when part of the American Bicycle Co. trust at the beginning of the century.

They contiued using the name occasionally, here's a 1950's Westfield Hudson:

If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi, @Dale13

I can confirm its a J 1931 Westfield produced bike. It's rare in that they didn't produce mant that year, and very few of those have survived (in fact, this is the only 1931 I have listed at the moment).

It seems to be mostly, or all, original parts, cetainly the chainwheel, stand etc. are.

Westfield produced bikes under many names, and it could be this is one that they bought when part of the American Bicycle Co. trust at the beginning of the century.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks for all your help I could not find a head badge I think this was factory direct the license plate is from a town 18miles From Westfield. Hudson dept. stores from the Midwest

pp
Hi, @Dale13

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you so much what a great website I think how did a Hudson end up in MassachusettsThis bike has a license plate A town 15 miles from Westfield Is J1 or J 10In the serial number how many did they make this years

CB4B8D35-4D5A-432A-8697-B807820629D2.jpeg

Hi Shawn @Freqman1 , Thanks, that's what I thought, but was unable to find when Westfield bought Miami (I was looking at the 1900 ABC listings).

Hi @Dale13 , nice crime prevention badge. Someone loved it enough to want to hang onto it even when it was ten years old. But then, the realtive value would have been high in comparison to today.

Yes, J10568 is the serial number. I don't know how many were made in 1931, but I would guess substantially less than 100000 (sounds a lot, but survival rates are often less than 1%, so fewer than 1000 bikes of all types remaining from that year). Both 1932 and 1933 were lower than 100000, and 1931 was still in the 1929 depression era, so to have money for a bicycle was difficult, hence low sales.

Best Regards,

Adrian

More Hudson tidbits–

Hudson was initially built by Bean–Chamberlain Mfg. Co., of Hudson, Mich., hence its name derived from its township. It later changed its name to Hudson Mfg. Co.

In late 1908 Miami Cycles purchased the Hudson Mfg Co. and all its badge assets; Lenawee, and Noxall. However the bigger assets were not two; the proprietary D&J drivetrain and employing Jim Ash who had steer the Hudson Mfg Co into prominence before a flood entirely wiped out his company. Miami brilliantly saw an opportunity and brought Mr. Ash on board...he was paramount with other board members in maintaining and increasing the Miami Cycles stellar reputation.

Miami continued using the D&J on the Hudson and other models, but in a few years the D&J design was modified and used on Miami's Racycle and Flying Merkel.

Very cool Longmeadow license. I have a lot of family history in Longmeadow but I doubt they had any bikes in the 1660s.:cool:

More Hudson tidbits–

Hudson was initially built by Bean–Chamberlain Mfg. Co., of Hudson, Mich., hence its name derived from its township. It later changed its name to Hudson Mfg. Co.

View attachment 1175451

In late 1908 Miami Cycles purchased the Hudson Mfg Co. and all its badge assets; Lenawee, and Noxall. However the bigger assets were not two; the proprietary D&J drivetrain and employing Jim Ash who had steer the Hudson Mfg Co into prominence before a flood entirely wiped out his company. Miami brilliantly saw an opportunity and brought Mr. Ash on board...he was paramount with other board members in maintaining and increasing the Miami Cycles stellar reputation.

View attachment 1175476

Miami continued using the D&J on the Hudson and other models, but in a few years the D&J design was modified and used on Miami's Racycle and Flying Merkel.
View attachment 1175435
The Miami purchase of Hudson and D&J occurs in the Summer of 1908; the sale is reported: The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review, August 22, 1908

Back