When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1933 Ladies Elgin / Swallow ??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$150

Kato

I live for the CABE
Selling what I believe to be a pretty original 1933 ladies Elgin - possibly a Swallow
Bike is originally a dark blue but looks black now.
Has some crusty rust but is solid. Wheels spin true and brakes lock up instantly.
Not looking to ship - will possibly drive a little way to meet up with buyer

More pics are in prior post - see link below
Fellow CABER's gave some pretty good info on the bike = Thanks !!!

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/help-ladies-elgin-late-20s-early-30s.175662/#post-1196357

Asking $275 / PM for info.......

IMG_0678.JPG

Last edited:
cbustapeck was 1st to call dibs and we had convo so he has 1st shot
GeorgeK54 you were next so I've gotta go with that

cbust asked about cracks - I looked the bike over really well and found this - directly under the seat on down-tube about 1 1/2" down
I've never seen anything like this........take a look and let me know. Others can comment if they know what it is...it doesn't look like a crack / break the line is perfectly straight around the tube. Pics are around the whole tube......

cbustapeck was 1st to call dibs and we had convo so he has 1st shot
GeorgeK54 you were next so I've gotta go with that

cbust asked about cracks - I looked the bike over really well and found this - directly under the seat on down-tube about 1 1/2" down
I've never seen anything like this........take a look and let me know. Others can comment if they know what it is...it doesn't look like a crack / break the line is perfectly straight around the tube. Pics are around the whole tube......

View attachment 1272387

View attachment 1272388

View attachment 1272389

View attachment 1272390

View attachment 1272391
yikes, doesnt look good

yikes, doesnt look good

If this is a structural issue, I have a repair idea that I believe to be strong, permanent, and invisible. (Note: I am not an engineer and I have no idea if this is actually a structural issue.)

The seat post is a strong steel rod that goes through the entire section in question. If it were epoxied in place, probably lower rather than higher (with proper surface prep, of course), I would think that it would keep the two parts together, keep them from moving, and keep them aligned properly.

Yes, it would mean that the seat post could no longer be adjusted, but to me this seems a worthwhile compromise for a repair that would keep the bicycle functional and allow it to retain completely original appearance.

Thoughts?

Back