When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1934 Raleigh Record Ace (Clone)

-
The Lauterwassers are very comfy in the reach- the real reason for the design was to get that reach when light, long stems were not up to the job. I like them because I can be stretched out and still see what is around me in city traffic and not be down in the drops looking at my front axle. If it gets really bad, I can go back to the grips and be in sit up and beg upright position. I'm a huge fan of slack frame geometry, like found on serious early 20th Century bikes, overweight Schwinns and 1980s mountain bikes. It's a VERY different experience than twitchy road bikes and a light slack frame really is a revelation. Here is a a short video of a very lucky guy gushing about his RRA:
Raleigh threading was pretty much proprietary by the 1920's- keep looking for wingnuts that fit your hubs- they are out there.

The Lauterwassers are very comfy in the reach- the real reason for the design was to get that reach when light, long stems were not up to the job. I like them because I can be stretched out and still see what is around me in city traffic and not be down in the drops looking at my front axle. If it gets really bad, I can go back to the grips and be in sit up and beg upright position. I'm a huge fan of slack frame geometry, like found on serious early 20th Century bikes, overweight Schwinns and 1980s mountain bikes. It's a VERY different experience than twitchy road bikes and a light slack frame really is a revelation. Here is a a short video of a very lucky guy gushing about his RRA:
Raleigh threading was pretty much proprietary by the 1920's- keep looking for wingnuts that fit your hubs- they are out there.
I must have watched that video 100 times already! He's got a great bike there. I'd like to go on that Lake Pepin ride someday.

Here we see a little more done. Front wheel, fender added. I have ordered a used Brooks B17 off of ebay. Should be good enough for this bike. I think it's coming together......finally. I really need a more interesting backdrop. I haven't worked at Godfather's since 1993. Why do I keep the jacket around?
34RRA1.jpg
34RRA2.jpg

Since I last posted any pictures I've added the rear fender, Brooks B17, and a set of bars I found on Ebay. I think they'll work. The rear wheel is still in process. I gave up on my abilities to lace it and handed it over to the LBS. Unfortunately it was a week before RAGBRAI started so they are a little busy right now and it won't be till next week that I get it back.
BARS1.jpg
BARS2.jpg

Nearly finished. This weekend saw a great leap forward in progress....and a couple steps back, but you'll have that. On the first, brief ride for a block or two I noticed that painted rims make for a lousy braking surface, but I expected that. Also, the shifting wasn't quite adjusted so I didn't get much of any use out of second. I did notice that the bike seemed to 'hop' along. Just how out of round is the rear rim?? I parked it next to the garage (in the picture) and turned my back on it when.....BANG!! That rear tube blew out. The only thing I can think of is that I wasn't careful when I aired it up and some of the tube leaked out. I had heard a rubbing sound that became more pronounced as I rode along. The Brooks B17 is very comfortable, though and I think I'll really like the Marsh bars! More, better pictures later.
R.R.A.1.jpg
R.R.A.2.jpg
R.R.A.3.jpg

Looks great,coming along nicely . I am heading towards a build like yours with a 1966 Superbe.I have a B-17 on it now,still need bars and a quadrant shifter.I am using a friction shifter for now,works fine but does not thrill me like the looks of a SA shifter. I love the ride as it sits,but want to experiment.You have given me the incentive to get at it .I have the original fenders also,your pics make me want to put them back on.Thanks for posting the update.

img_1571-jpg.jpg

Go for it! It's a pile of work, but as I was wheeling it out of the shed I thought, "You know, I could do another one....." The fenders on this one are a set of Bluemels that I happened to have on another bike and painted them black.

That's really starting to look good!
Those Raleigh wingnuts do pop up on eBay U.K. every few months, but the price is usually pretty steep.
Great job.

Back