When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1934 Silverking Project

-

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've had this one for a while just sitting. I was expecting worse when i unboxed it. :) I did a very minor cleanup ~2hours.

DId a minor mock up below. I have some 24" trip steps and the chain and morrow are soaking. Will be interesting to check the date on the morrow once it degreases. Will also be the first time i attempt a lacing.

not sure if i am gonna keep this one.

IMG_7793.JPG
IMG_7792.JPG
IMG_7794.JPG

Not without damage. The 1" tubes are a swage fit that is not gonna come apart easily. The smaller tube is only a loose fit. This piece of steel has enlarged the end of the tube under pressure inside those gorgeous lugs. Are you looking to polish more easily? The forward three tubes were squeezed into the lugs, then the seat tube was slid through the seat lug and pressed into the bottom bracket. You'll notice that the top of the seat tube is either a loose fit or has been pinned in place. Wonderful bike. Keep the fotos coming.
image.jpeg

Your trying to get the handlebar out of the stem? give a close-up photo of the cross bar where it meets the handlebar.... then wait for advice.

IMG_1253.JPG
The I've found the slot in the Torrington stem gets very narrow or even closes when pinched tightly around the bars. The slot is non-parallel. When open, it does not spread apart sufficiently. If you were to open the slot slightly with a Dremel or a thin file, you would create both access for your bars and a slot that wouldn't close upon itself leaving the bars loose.
The lower foto has been slightly dressed for the needed clearance, while in the upper foto, the bolt isn't even snugged down.

IMG_1250.JPG

View attachment 821585

Last edited:
View attachment 821586 The I've found the slot in the Torrington stem gets very narrow or even closes when pinched tightly around the bars. The slot is non-parallel. When open, it does not spread apart sufficiently. If you were to open the slot slightly with a Dremel or a thin file, you would create both access for your bars and a slot that wouldn't close upon itself leaving the bars loose.

Appears I'm not understanding your request for help... The bars and stems were made back then in two sizes: 1" was the most common; but, Monark especially used 7/8"... you seem to have 1" bars and 7/8" stem... that's why the joint faces are not parallel. Find 7/8" bars; or, find a 1" stem.

View attachment 821586 The I've found the slot in the Torrington stem gets very narrow or even closes when pinched tightly around the bars. The slot is non-parallel. When open, it does not spread apart sufficiently. If you were to open the slot slightly with a Dremel or a thin file, you would create both access for your bars and a slot that wouldn't close upon itself leaving the bars loose.
The lower foto has been slightly dressed for the needed clearance, while in the upper foto, the bolt isn't even snugged down.

View attachment 821584

View attachment 821585

thanks - ill take another stab next weekend.

Back