When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1934 Zephyr Cycle Co. Dayton, Ohio

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In the rarity category this definitely tops the Evinrude, that is one cool looking machine!

There are a lot of bikes more rare than the Evinrude. 1938 Huffman Super Streamline is one. Probably '37/8 RMS as well, and I'm sure there are others. The thing is I don't think the Zephyr went beyond the prototype stage. V/r Shawn

Art Deco styling at its finest.

I could not disagree more. It IS an interesting bike, however, that's a bike I'd only add to my collection due to its rarity. Aesthetically, it's a loser. The fact that it didn't go into production supports that assertion.

Show me a bicycle version of this motorcycle and you'll have something.
uploadfromtaptalk1401917844132.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401917864360.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1401917844132.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1401917864360.jpg

Zephyr

Thanks that's a killer bike ,I can't see riding one in a strong cross wind.didnt huffman use that zephyr name on some of there bikes hmm

@sm2501

Scott … we need to transfer some info in a CABE Thread to THIS Thread.

The info can be found in a thread called, Zephyr head badge. Entry #3 …

Please transfer just the typed section … the fotos are already here.

If you would, Scott … please transfer to this Entry .. below the Zephyr
badge foto … OR start a new Entry in this Thread and transfer there. Thank You !!

If I knew how to transfer or create a link .. I would.

Now … many peeps are of a mindset the blue, ZEPHYR badge began life as a Huffman thing.
No Dice. This Badge was a product of The Zephyr Cycle Co., Dayton, Ohio.

In June of 1938 … The Huffman Manuf. Co. Purchased the remains of The Zephyr Cycle Co …
and placed the blue Zephyr badge on appropriate Huffman machines.

Two of these were originally intended to be placed on each and every Zephyr Cycle …
one on each side of the massively-thick headtube.

….. patric

IMG_3804 zephyr.jpg

From the Ethernet

Last edited:
Somewhere in the earliest issues of Classic Bicycle News is an article(s) on badges
containing the word Zephyr.

In June, 1938 ... American Bicyclist-Motorcyclist Magazine (or something to that
effect) posted information that Huffman had purchased the entire mechanical holdings
AND ''good will'' of the Zephyr Cycle Co. on Monument Ave. in Dayton, Ohio.

Having been interviewed by The Dayton Daily News sometime in the mid to late 90's,
I answered a question about ''most-unusual'' bicycles. My choice was the Zephyr Cycle
... of the Zephyr Cycle Co.

Got a fone call from a rather-irate female .. Annette Anduze .. one of three daughters
of the bicycle's two-designers -- a Mr. Stutzman .. former engineer with the now-defunct
Davis Sewing Machine Co. of Dayton.

"My father would have NEVER SOLD that company !'' .. claims she.

She told me how different the machine was ... that only three had been built (1934) .. and
that her father had designed a special emblem for the bicycle ... two were to be affixed
to the steering-area .. one on the left .. one on the right. The front of the steering-area
being somewhat covered by sheet-metal.

She then described the badge.

Long story - short ... Sent her copies of all the lit I had of her father's machine ... she
was appreciative and sent me a foto of a broken, cast-iron salesman model in her posses-
sion.

One of the fotos I sent was of the blue, large "Z" badge. The badge was still-attached to
a Huffman-Built, original bicycle.

When we chatted at later dates .. Mrs. Anduze was very hospitable.

Below are pics of one of the original bicycles ... and some good fotos of one of the
salesman's samples (from the Ethernet).

I no-longer own either of the two, original, salesman's samples .. that once were in my
collection.

........... patric

Back