When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935-36 HW DURALIUM I'm

-
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've been putting this off because of the time/effort involved. What with buying a Wingbar that needs TLC, I figure it's time to "get 'er dun!"
Since I'd already sanded to #600, I dug in for the home stretch. A little #400 here and there for the scratches I'd missed and bang bang, #800 and #1000, Finito! At least finito on the head casting. Mañana is another day ¡Hombres y Mujers!
Wait! The day is young so the bottom bracket is done.

Last edited:
View attachment 485197 View attachment 485136 I've been putting this off because of the time/effort involved. What with buying a Wingbar that needs TLC, I figure it's time to "get 'er dun!"
Since I'd already sanded to #600, I dug in for the home stretch. A little #400 here and there for the scratches I'd missed and bang bang, #800 and #1000, Finito! At least finito on the head casting. Mañana is another day ¡Hombres y Mujers!
Wait! The day is young so the bottom bracket is done.

End result images? I'd love to see the finished product!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby Steps! Here is the frame after 1000 grit wet or dry, then hand polished and washed. No buffer.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I know screws are a no no, but me no know. I got tired of looking for brass rivets to go with my stripped of paint badge.
image.jpeg
The brass looks good on the aluminum.
image.jpeg
I'm ready to get this bike done.
image.jpeg
I do not want to get $$$ into the seat, but springs would be nice. Any ideas?

image.jpeg

The Duralium in coming along. At first it was going to be tripple3! stepped rims, black hubs, black spokes, black tires, but these 26 x 57s presented themselves.
image.jpeg

It's a good thing aluminiumium is malleable, 'cause this hub is WIDE. I should be able to squeeze in some creamy and delicious Fat Frank 2.35s, or that's what the experts have told me.
image.jpeg

Due to the fact that Geezerville is more than a state of mind or a zip code, my old body needs a little gearing. Shimano 7-speed with a coaster brake.
image.jpeg

And it better have a low gear on it. This sprocket looks like it's off of Ray's cycle!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
The bike is beginning to take shape. Something about wheels that make all the difference. I laced the rear cross 3, and the front cross 2. It looks like there's just enough room for the 2.35 x 26 tires that are in the mail. I'll dig into my stash of garage door opener chain to get an extra long piece once I put a bigger sprocket on the rear.
image.jpeg

Amazing! It looks like You sent it off and had it Chromed! That Bike is gonna FLY !!! ......Shoot, It`s Flying Now...--------Cowboy
I can see You now, passing me on the Interstate... Buck Rogers Bike !!!

I've got an 18 tooth cog on this Nexus7 hub.
image.jpeg

I have found an even bigger front chainring than the earlier foto shows, 65 teeth.
image.jpeg

Big thanks to rcole45. He told me about stealing a larger cog from a rear cluster and filing off the extra drive detents. Now I'm running a 30 tooth rear. 65/30x26=56.3. That's perfect as a fixed gearing ratio for me. The Nexus 1st gear will now be about 35 inches, while the high gear will be about 87 inches.
image.jpeg

A couple of old chains for mock-up tells me I need 63-1/2 links.
image.jpeg

I still need a sexy seat!!!

With these Nexus hubs, the axle must not spin. This green anti-rotate washer does the trick.
image.jpeg

The angle of the shifting cable establishes which set of color coded washers to use. Different angled dropouts call for the right set to use.
They even have a cutaway in the tab to allow space for the banjo bolts or axle adjusting screws. Shimano recommends placing the tab toward the closed end of the dropout.
image.jpeg

Back