When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935/36 Schwinn CyclePlane

-
I believe that sprocket was used on post war (1950's)Schwinns as well

Visually there's seems to be a difference...the 50's style has a 1/2 pitch, and the 30's model has a 1"pitch. Also there's more definition around the circles on the earlier sprocket (you can see it around the middle near the crank arm).

Ah yes, the devils in the details. My bad.... I can't believe I didn't notice the 1-inch pitch! Next time I'll scrutinize a little longer before I jump in with my 2 cents.

That being said, Nice Bike!

Yeah it appears that Hawthorne was the earlier user of this design. Schwinn didn't make a large skip-tooth version of this sprocket design, they used skiptooth versons on their girls bikes during the late 40's early 50's but they were a smaller diameter. The boys schwinns used the larger diameter sweetheart and phantom style during that time.

I've started to disassemble this bike and I have a few more questions, There is a decal on the down tube that I can make out, Could it be the "De Luxe" decal? Thats the only that memory lane has that I think would be appropriate. Also I might have to do a poll on whether or not to repaint the darts and stripes back on this bike. The black paint is in good shape on the frame but he white paint is very fragile and is flaking off with just a brush of the hand.

Here's another of those sprockets. Although similar to Schwinn, it is like described above, much deeper cutouts around the circles, that's the giveaway, although I have seen this style sprocket on very early Schwinn motorbikes, the Hawthornes, and even one of the Harley Davidsons used it as well.
The bike pictured below shares more elements in common with the Michigan City Excelsiors than with any of the ones I named above.

IMAG0319-1.jpg

I've started to disassemble this bike and I have a few more questions, There is a decal on the down tube that I can make out, Could it be the "De Luxe" decal? Thats the only that memory lane has that I think would be appropriate. Also I might have to do a poll on whether or not to repaint the darts and stripes back on this bike. The black paint is in good shape on the frame but he white paint is very fragile and is flaking off with just a brush of the hand.

Might it read Excelsior or La Salle? That would be my guess instead of De Luxe. Post a pic and I'm sure we might be able to make it out.

Due to a tight budget from the owner this was one of the least costly restorations I've done, if you've got a sharp eye you can see where I was able to cut some corners. Big thanks to Jerry Germeau who did an excellent job on the fenders.

IMG_7561-1.jpg

IMG_7562-1.jpg

IMG_7563-1.jpg

IMG_7564-1.jpg

Back