When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Bluebird

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I found a replacement fork, courtesy of @higgens. Definitely an improvement over the freeze cracked and rusty original, but it still needed some considerable rework. It had been repaired with sections of new metal and was not the correct profile, nor was it in alignment with the steer tube. The last photo shows how much correction was necessary from the side profile alone.
950650D3-C263-46A3-93D4-D7CDB942C28C.jpeg

9892C55D-67BD-49EB-BCEE-3E4B596BEF82.jpeg

C6DC4F59-DEEB-4FEF-808F-719100E0DF0D.jpeg

I was surprised at how solid the steel was, despite its initial appearance. Once I sanded the rust away, I was able to reshape the sheet metal to its original form and tack the sections into place. I decided to repair what was already there instead cutting and fabricating in new sections. View attachment 1232951
View attachment 1232953
This all looks quite well yet, one issue bugs me. In the areas cracked, broken etc. how are you to refresh inside these areas to bare metal and get welding to stick and prevent rust, especially after heating the old rust which can cause it to eat it out again even faster or worse? You can bridge top side but what about inside areas ya can't get into. An acid or flux to etch em to raw metal or?

Last edited:
This all looks quite well yet, one issue bugs me. In the areas cracked, broken etc. how are you to refresh inside these areas to bare metal and get welding to stick and prevent rust, especially after heating the old rust which can cause it to eat it out again even faster or worse? You can bridge top side but what about inside areas ya can't get into. An acid or flux to etch em to raw metal or?

I know :( I should have had it dipped at my local platers before I started in on it. It would have left a cleaner underside in those impossible to reach sections.

Last edited:
Back