When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Colson Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

elginkid

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’ve had this for years, but I don’t think it ever had a proper introduction. It’s possibly the favorite ballooner in my collection. It’s black and cream, with gold pinstriping. In any case, thanks to @Boris I finally have the correct kickstand. I still need to tear down the headset and bottom bracket for a rebuild, and the seat is in desperate need of restoration. But I have done a couple of 20 mile rides on it.

IMG_5675.jpeg

IMG_5674.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg

IMG_5676.jpeg

Yes, good looking bike! I am a bit confused though as your lugged frame seems to be a pre-1933 28-er frame from Colson. I have never seen a lugged Colson frame later than 1933. Serial number should clear it up for sure.
I think the serial is 5A3057

It’s possible that perhaps the bicycle was “updated” in the 30s I suppose. The rear fender likely has enough clearance, the front fender might be a bit closer, although the fenders seem more of a balloon width. One thing that would potentially support that theory though is the lack of open drop outs on the front forks.

If it is meant to be a 28” bike, then I just bought the wrong kickstand, lol.

IMG_5678.jpeg

image.jpg

Yes, good looking bike! I am a bit confused though as your lugged frame seems to be a pre-1933 28-er frame from Colson. I have never seen a lugged Colson frame later than 1933. Serial number should clear it up for sure.
After another search it looks like the closed dropouts in 1935 wasn’t out of line, I wonder if the frame has to do with the frame size. I think every other motorbike I’ve seen from 1933 on for Colson has a shorter frame, at least that’s my guess based on the frame geometry. Maybe the tall frame models still used the lugged construction?

Very interesting. Something new regarding the 33-5 transition from 28 to 26. From the Colson serial number thread below.....measurements of chain stay length and fork length below for both wheel sizes from 1933. Colson was one of the few that did not use frame/fender spacers for 26" wheels but instead shortened the rear stays and fork to accept 26" wheels. Compare your frame to the below measurements for the two wheel sizes.....
img_1021-jpg.jpg

ea873ccc-d87b-4be6-88d0-66b4d8e52fac-1-png.png

Last edited:
Very interesting. Something new regarding the 33-5 transition from 28 to 26. From the Colson serial number thread below.....measurements of chain stay length and fork length below for both wheel sizes from 1933. Colson was one of the few that did not use frame/fender spacers for 26" wheels but instead shortened the rear stays and fork to accept 26" wheels. Compare your frame to the below measurements for the two wheel sizes.....
View attachment 1931034

View attachment 1931035
You’ll have to pardon the drawing, I don’t have a proper scale, or a way to measure angles, other than by eyeball, and the bike is all together. But here’s my best attempt.

IMG_5687.jpeg

Last edited:
I did a search for 1935 Colsons to see if I could find another Motorbike with a tall frame. I found and old post on Rat Rod Bikes, with a serial number of 5L2294, so the end of the year as opposed to the beginning, but not only is the frame not lugged, but the rear stays are VERY different.

IMG_5691.jpeg

IMG_5688.jpeg

IMG_5690.jpeg

IMG_5689.jpeg

Last edited:
Back