When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Colson Rover- Fully Restored Before & After

-
Great job! Looks beautiful! You definately need to ramble down to Rock Hill this Saturday and show it off!

18D26EF7-E3C5-4646-B98E-965D31167C2B.jpeg

Looks great!. Would you mind sharing the serial number on the crankcase? Wondering if that tank was original or not to this bike...the Colson Flyer tanks had a different clasp. Not sure if Rovers had tanks. Doesn't really matter but a nice bike regardless! 30mph is attainable on many old bikes if the downhill slope is steep enough. How fast can you pedal it in the flats?:oops:

Last edited:
Looks great!. Would you mind sharing the serial number on the crankcase? Wondering if that tank was original or not to this bike...the Colson Flyer tanks had a different clasp. Not sure if Rovers had tanks. Doesn't really matter but a nice bike regardless! 30mph is attainable on many old bikes if the downhill slope is steep enough. How fast can you pedal it in the flats?:oops:

Hi! The serial number on this bike is 5A25XX, which dates it to 1935. It is a genuine early balloon tire model. The tank is not original to this this bike, and is one that I had laying around for use on such a project as this; in fact, this bike was pretty stripped down, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has parts from five different bikes on it, of course all of the parts used were transpercable between similar models. It even had a 1920s Elgin "snowflake" sprocket on it when I got it as seen in the before photos {this was replaced by a proper Colson sprocket}. I will say that I have seen Colson Rovers & Flyers from the late 1920s, to late 1930's, both in 26 inch balloon & 28 inch standard models, and have seen 3 or 4 slightly different toolbox tank variations on them, depending on age. Some have no tank at all. The earlier bikes seemed to have tanks with the 2 tabs on the sides of the door like mine, but I also saw some with the single tab clasp up underneath the tank. No telling if those were original tanks to those bikes or not, but it was interesting to see such variations on these earlier model Colsons. It almost seems like later Colsons were more standardized. As for her speed, I can get her up probably close to 20mph on level ground, cause the rear hub, I think is a nine tooth, so it has some get up and go! Thank you for reading, and for your interest!

Last edited:
Back