When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Elgin Gull

-
Shipping
I'm thinking $150 to pack like fine china and ship a big box
Zipcode
Unless a buyer tells me otherwise, I'm planning on cutting the pedals off this weekend, when I have a little time. It'll fit in a reinforced bike box if I do that. Not cutting the cranks, just the pedal shafts. No luck removing them so far by "normal" means. I'd like to make a deal and sell it, but we're not quite there yet.

Unless a buyer tells me otherwise, I'm planning on cutting the pedals off this weekend, when I have a little time. It'll fit in a reinforced bike box if I do that. Not cutting the cranks, just the pedal shafts. No luck removing them so far by "normal" means. I'd like to make a deal and sell it, but we're not quite there yet.
EEEeeeek! I have always been able to extract pedals by using a combination of WD-40, Liquid Wrench, Park Tool Pedal wrench and a vise. Worst I
have had required heating the crank end with a torch. But cutting them off? Oooooo. Lasssst resort. Whoever ends up trying to extract the pedals will then have serious work cut out for them! I got a Silver King with the pedals cut off and it took months to clear the cranks!

I'ver been trying with all those tools, except wd40. I'm used to rusty vintage car stuff, but these haven't moved, at least not yet. I don't want to cut them, either. I've laid under cars for hours begging the head of a stuck bolt to just go ahead and break off, and been damn grateful when it did, usually after nothing else has worked. I've seen the examples of 50/50 ATF and acetone that many SWEAR by, but have never tried that. This might be the time, though!

EDIT. It is possible to break a Park pedal wrench. I've done that in my shop a couple of times, too.

I'ver been trying with all those tools, except wd40. I'm used to rusty vintage car stuff, but these haven't moved, at least not yet. I don't want to cut them, either. I've laid under cars for hours begging the head of a stuck bolt to just go ahead and break off, and been damn grateful when it did, usually after nothing else has worked. I've seen the examples of 50/50 ATF and acetone that many SWEAR by, but have never tried that. This might be the time, though!

EDIT. It is possible to break a Park pedal wrench. I've done that in my shop a couple of times, too.
Heat is your friend

Not trying to say the obvious, but maybe you don't realize the pedal on the left comes off clockwise. On the right counter clockwise or as you stand on ether side of frame the wrench to take them off goes to the "rear" of the bike. Also important right fitting peddle wrench and with a rubber mallet or regular hammer blows to the wrench in the correct direction should break them loose. Also would let next owner decide if to cut or pay extra for more shipping. Just trying to help and think it's great your passing this on to someone who will enjoy it for what it is. Good luck.

Use the Hot Wrench.
stranger-things-fire.gif

It can't be stuck if it's liquid.

LOL... I have yet to break a Park Tool pedal wrench, after many many years and thousands of old bicycles. But anything is possible.

By the way... for extra-stubborn pedals my favorite trick (after the pedal spindle soaking a week) was to slide a length of fence post tubing over the Park Tool and use that as a giant lever. Yesss, it worked almost every time...

If I may suggest, things like this I always let soak at least a week prior to even attempting to do anything. In addition to WD-40, Liquid Wrench, etc., the other thing I have used over the years was Marvel Mystery Oil. No idea if they still make this stuff. Apply to the thread side of crank opening/pedal end... and let soak at least a week.

By the way... this is an old photo. This Silver King M500 looks a lot different now!

SilverKingm500OnStand2WM.jpeg

SilverKingM500PedalBrazeWM.jpeg

Last edited:
Back