When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1935 Montgomery Wards Silver King Deluxe

-

merkaba

Look Ma, No Hands!
The time has come for me to sell my special occasion cruiser. I purchased this very rare late '34/early '35 Deluxe Montgomery Wards branded Silver King several years ago and have absolutely loved being the caretaker. The open lug frame was a very rare design that was only produced in late '34 and for the first part of '35. All the chrome is original to the bike and nothing has been re-plated, just cleaned to remove as much of the contaminants as possible that could further damage the plating in the future. The aluminum frame was already really nice so I decided to polish it and wow does it look good. I didn't want to remove the character that it had developed over the years so I left the gouges and scratches and polished over them. The delta battery tube and silveray light are in excellent condition and work. The light still has the original wires and cork gasket behind the glass. The headlight glass reads DELTA SILVERAY. The cloth wires do have a bare spot by the wire guide under the front fender and would need to be covered if you want to use the light. The battery tube is missing the correct switched cap and conduit to connect the fender and battery pack. New departure model d hubs are in great condition and have been cleaned and re-greased. Triple drop set rims have a couple dents but ride straight. The period correct US Royal chain tires are still really soft with lots of tread left and very rideable. The rear glass reflector has a couple knicks but otherwise it's in great condition. Troxel saddle has a hard rubber top and riveted troxel badge on the back. The rubber does have some cracking but it's really not too bad. Stainless fenders have been polished and lightly massaged. These aren't perfect and still have some scratches and dents but I like them the way they are. The front had the braces removed and is held together with stainless rivet head screws. I have rivets to replace them with but don't have the tool to do so. The rear fender still has the original rivets. I got the bike with the original drop stand clip that was broken and I replaced it with one that's not quite correct but it's what I could find at the time. Torrington pedals have been cleaned and re-greased. Skip tooth sprocket, blue diamond chain and chain guard are all correct. The dogleg crank has been cleaned and bearings re-greased. The handlebar grips while not original look like they could be from the 40's or 50's. While the bike shows really well the chrome is not perfect; It has scratches, pits, some rust and flaking in some spots but the bike is over 80 years old and is original. In full disclosure I noticed a hairline split under the seat post clamp. The seat post tube has a factory steel support tube for extra strength so it hasn't been an issue but should be an easy fix with a tig welder. I have done my best to accurately describe this bike so you know what you're buying. I haven't really seen any of these come up for sale so I'm not quite sure what to ask but would like to get $2800 for it. If it doesn't sell in a week or two I'm going to throw it on eBay. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have more pics so if you would like to see something specific email me at [email protected]. The bike can be seen in person in Wilmington, NC. My local bike shop said they would help me with the packaging and shipment and it's estimated at $300 with insurance. I will gladly refund the difference if it is less.
Thanks for looking, Collin
IMG_3506.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG
IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG
IMG_3544.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG

The time has come for me to sell my special occasion cruiser. I purchased this very rare late '34/early '35 Deluxe Montgomery Wards branded Silver King several years ago and have absolutely loved being the caretaker. The open lug frame was a very rare design that was only produced in late '34 and for the first part of '35. All the chrome is original to the bike and nothing has been re-plated, just cleaned to remove as much of the contaminants as possible that could further damage the plating in the future. The aluminum frame was already really nice so I decided to polish it and wow does it look good. I didn't want to remove the character that it had developed over the years so I left the gouges and scratches and polished over them. The delta battery tube and silveray light are in excellent condition and work. The light still has the original wires and cork gasket behind the glass. The headlight glass reads DELTA SILVERAY. The cloth wires do have a bare spot by the wire guide under the front fender and would need to be covered if you want to use the light. The battery tube is missing the correct switched cap and conduit to connect the fender and battery pack. New departure model d hubs are in great condition and have been cleaned and re-greased. Triple drop set rims have a couple dents but ride straight. The period correct US Royal chain tires are still really soft with lots of tread left and very rideable. The rear glass reflector has a couple knicks but otherwise it's in great condition. Troxel saddle has a hard rubber top and riveted troxel badge on the back. The rubber does have some cracking but it's really not too bad. Stainless fenders have been polished and lightly massaged. These aren't perfect and still have some scratches and dents but I like them the way they are. The front had the braces removed and is held together with stainless rivet head screws. I have rivets to replace them with but don't have the tool to do so. The rear fender still has the original rivets. I got the bike with the original drop stand clip that was broken and I replaced it with one that's not quite correct but it's what I could find at the time. Torrington pedals have been cleaned and re-greased. Skip tooth sprocket, blue diamond chain and chain guard are all correct. The dogleg crank has been cleaned and bearings re-greased. The handlebar grips while not original look like they could be from the 40's or 50's. While the bike shows really well the chrome is not perfect; It has scratches, pits, some rust and flaking in some spots but the bike is over 80 years old and is original. In full disclosure I noticed a hairline split under the seat post clamp. The seat post tube has a factory steel support tube for extra strength so it hasn't been an issue but should be an easy fix with a tig welder. I have done my best to accurately describe this bike so you know what you're buying. I haven't really seen any of these come up for sale so I'm not quite sure what to ask but would like to get $2800 for it. If it doesn't sell in a week or two I'm going to throw it on eBay. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have more pics so if you would like to see something specific email me at [email protected]. The bike can be seen in person in Wilmington, NC. My local bike shop said they would help me with the packaging and shipment and it's estimated at $300 with insurance. I will gladly refund the difference if it is less.
Thanks for looking, Collin
View attachment 462141 View attachment 462142 View attachment 462143 View attachment 462144 View attachment 462145 View attachment 462146 View attachment 462147 View attachment 462148 View attachment 462149 View attachment 462150 View attachment 462151 View attachment 462152 View attachment 462153 View attachment 462154 View attachment 462155 View attachment 462156 View attachment 462157 View attachment 462158 View attachment 462159 View attachment 462160

That is an absolutely beautiful bike. You should be proud owning it and you did the bike justice being it's caretaker.

Back