When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Silver King window frame project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I just purchased this 1935 Silver King from @scrubbinrims and promptly disassembled it and got to work before taking initial photographs! Fortunately, there are plenty of photographs in his listing for the bike.

It is a complete bicycle in good condition. As a project, my work on it will be complete disassembly, stripping of the paint, cleaning all parts, polishing, and reassembly.

At this point, the frame has been mostly stripped of paint. It was suggested that the blue finish shown in these photographs might be factory anodization. If that was the case, I would, of course, want to preserve said finish.

The following are the factors, combined, that make me confident that the blue paint was a later surface:
  • It is not present in any of the concealed portions of the frame.
  • There were areas where the blue was uneven.
  • Blue paint was found evenly over areas found to be oxidized.
  • Blue paint was found in numerous scratches.

5C2D2A4B-D09B-4F38-9EF5-03EFE2F0C18C.jpeg
C997023C-E3C7-46BF-A61D-8E0BC03396B6.jpeg

I often wish, when I am considering a bicycle or trying to figure out the one that I have, that I had detailed photographs of other examples to consult.

In terms of correctness, I know that the "frame, fork, truss rods, seatpost, and saddle" were purchased together at Memory Lane, and that the fenders, rims, and Delta Silveray are correct. I know that a great deal of care was taken in the build, and I'm sure that a good few other components are correct, but exactly which ones is something better left to experts.

IMG_2543.JPG

Delta Silveray light
IMG_2544.JPG
"
IMG_2545.JPG
IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2553.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG
IMG_2558.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG
IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2624.JPG

Tires and wheels and my part storage system.

I chose the Duro tires pictured here because they were the closest to the tread pattern and sidewall style of the originals that I could get. I am satisfied with the way that they look. It's worth noting, however, that it took several attempts to get them to seat properly. I am not sure whether this was the rims, the tires, or a combination thereof.

IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG
IMG_2683.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG

Instead of putting all the loose parts on my bench, where it seems almost certain that something will get mixed in with another project, they go in a five gallon bucket. It's easy to keep it all organized that way. Win!

IMG_2687.JPG

Back