When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Wards Hawthorne Project

-

spokesman

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked up my first Wards Hawthorne. This is my winter project. Believe it to be a 1935 but not totally sure.
I am currently focused on Colsons but couldnt pass this one up.
Came from the son of the original owner who was a WWII Vet. Looks like he loved his bike and rode it! But it hung in the Garage for several decades.
Lots of reflectors ! I was told that it is the original paint and Im thinking it probaby is, although the son indicated that his dad painted the seat springs, kick stand and front rim to match. He also painted the back rim silver.

Im hoping that some of you Hawthorne aficionado's can help with advice and parts.

I've started the dissasembly to clean up the years of dust and will service it

1. question regarding the Stainless Steel rain gutter fenders.
I noticed that the rear fender had two spacers but the front fender did not. Is there usually a spacer on the front fender too?
2. There is a clip for a drop stand but no drop stand (anybody have one for sale?) Im thinking that the one on it is an elgin stand?
3. Two different rims. I think that the back one is correct. (anybody have a matching front wheel with ND hub?)
4. Dont think it came with a tank (no strap marks on the top tube) but may want to put one on it. (any for sale?)
5. Grips are quite scrungy. Anyone have any black coke bottle grips for sale?
6. Not sure if the chain guard is original but looks era correct
7. Not sure if the Rack is original but it too looks era correct (seen this one on schwinn rangers ?)

Thanks for any and all input.
Haw RS.JPG

Haw LS.JPG

Haw Rear 1.JPG

Do you have a picture of the bottom bracket tube joins? Also serial? Assuming 26" balloon tired? Fender spacers may likely mean transitional from 28" wheel. It the perforated chainguard has multiple holes for front the mounting bracket it is likely a period aftermarket piece, although I have seen this guard several times before on this era Hawthorne bikes.

Thanks for the responses
Here's pic of the Serial # on the bottom bracket
and the tubes on the bottom bracket
Chainguard does have multiple holes for the front mounting bracket

Is there supposed to be a spacer for the front fender? Please advise. Thanks
Haw Serial.JPG

BTM tubes.JPG

Looks Snyder-built. Not sure if the V-serials were from Little Falls NY, versus the acquired Michigan City IN plant.
[I have seen different examples of Snyder double drop bar frames and early streamlined frames with letters from opposite ends of the alphabet].
The front fork would not require a spacer, as a separate fork could be used for either 26 or 28 inch wheels.
The taller 3" gap between tubes would best accommodate a McCauley # 1001 tank which are not common.
[The McCauley # 1000 tanks on eBay these days, are not designed for the 3.5" head tube configuration].
A typical 2-1/2" tank might look just okay, but a 1/2" gap would be noticeable; (see picture).
1934 Snyder (Rollfast) 1-3-18.jpg
The gap under the tank causes air turbulence and drag.

The tubular rack would make a nice addition to a Mead Ranger.

Last edited:
Great find. I would suggest trying to clean up those grips, as original white coke bottle grips are hard to come by.
Looks like it'll clean up nice.

Archie and Jay 81

Thanks for the input.

Archie yes the Head tube is 3.5" and the top tubes are 3" apart (you must have done a number of these!) so as I understand it I would need the McCauley 1001 to fit properly otherwise with the McCauley 1000 (the more common tank on ebay) there would be the 1/2" gap. Ok got it. Thanks. Now just need to be on the lookout for the McCauley 1001 or maybe I might abandon the tank addition. No spacer neeed for the front fender.

What is the significance of being "Snyder Built"

Jay81 Thanks for the tip on the White grips....I'll see if they can be cleaned up....they were painted Silver!

Anybody have any input on the glass reflectors?

The manufacturer (Snyder), a wholesaler who many may not have ever heard of, may be of significance to someone who would wonder why Schwinn or CWC parts might not fit or why the bike may just look different than other Hawthorne bikes or the same as some non-Hawthorne bikes. Also, others may observe your V-serial prefix, and compare with their own W an Y-serial prefixes, in order to 'try to' determine relative dates; (would not work comparing Snyder to Schwinn or CWC serial numbers). For example, would the W pictured above (yellow) be a 1936, and a Y (streamlined) a 1938(?).

The # 1000 (a large number) is another large 3” tank that fits even larger frames with 5” head tubes, and will not fit your bike (without a chop-saw).
I believe McCauley’s smaller 2-1/2” tank was a #3, often called a round-top; others had more-square looking 2-1/2" toolboxes (tanks).
The McCauley # 1001 (small frame, tall tank), might alternatively be identified by various bikes that it might fit, such as Sears Elgins (Snyder-built) or Shelby's.

Last edited:
Anybody know about the Gillette Tires?

This 1935 Hawthorne has Gillette Ambassador tires in very good condition. Anybody know about these? Prewar?
Tire 1.JPG

Tire Tread 1.JPG

Back