When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936-1939 La Greves Step Through

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

IIRC this brake lever model on the gold(ish) machine is an Altenburger pattern.

Ah, har she be. Alti terms this model the 126 S.

-----

Thanks! Yes, definitely looks like an Altenburger 126. Still, my curiosity regarding the lever shape remains:

1k0.jpg

-----

Catalogue citation is for a document of 1960.

Cycle appears late 1960's. Perhaps this lever shape a sub-model which was added after 1960.

Shall poke about a bit and see what can be found...

Ye, o' course have a bit of the advantage as being a sprechener o' la lingua tedescanese... ;)

-----

Last edited:
Of course French city bike technology exploded during the Occupation. There was no gasoline, and people spent their transportation budgets entirely on custom bicycles from Paris shops like Herse and Singer. There were also French Jews hiding in the shop basements and building those frames.
Every day was a bike race to get produce from outlying farms into Paris markets.
There was even a Nazi propaganda film on how healthy Parisians had become with their new bicycle lifestyle.
In the 1964 movie The Train, there's a beauty that belongs to yard master and engineer Burt Lancaster, which he carries on the engine and lets his partner borrow to execute a little sabotage.
I've slow-scrolled the scenes several times, and other than drooling over the marvelous outfitting on the bike, haven't been able to find a marque on the frame.
IjH0szq.jpg

mPGFpt8.jpg

DplqJhg.jpg

KNisTqi.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everybody! **disclaimer: New member.

In 2015 I bought a Le grèves bicycle in paris. The painting it's not very nice these days and I'm thinking (not sure yet) about repainting it. But some details as the seat tube and the head tube are very erased.

I have already dismantled the bike (I use to have a bike shop that did bikes reverse logistic so no problems so far) and got the head tube detail in this forum, but I really need the seat tube close up pic to go ahead.

Would anyone be so kind to send it? 🥰

@juvela my bike is very looked like ( although prettier lol ) with the "Late production road model showing Mercier origin " you posted here, is it your? Would you share the seat tube pic? :)

-----

@sarah.alves

the gold(ish) Mercier produced bicycle posted above was found on another forum

it is not my cycle

posted images are the only ones found

Mercier did a fair amount of contract work

they were a sponsor of Louison Bobet so there are Bobet badged Mercier built cycles

they did contract work for other marques such as Eriol

they also owned other badges; two recalled of these were Ency & Cote d'Azur

-----

Last edited:
Back