When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936-39, 26" Shelby Eagle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oldfart36

Riding One Of My Monark Super Deluxe's
1936-39, 26" Shelby Eagle

Just picked this up from a fellow member. While it needs some minor tweaks it is a solid rider. Has some great features, original "Defender" tailight, great rear rack, and really nice original wide white Allstates. It was re-painted at one time, but I think it kind of tells the story of the bike. Plans are: put a proper drop stand on, and am on the lookout for the correct tank. Shot Ol'skool

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hey guys. Even though the headbadge reads: "Shelby" "Eagle" "Gambles Stores". Is the bike still considered an "Airflo" ?

Cool ride! Shelbys are quite a mystery bike and only a few know much about them. I scored an original paint 40-ish and when I asked I got very few responses. Ride it like you stole it!

Attachments

• shelby.jpg
    shelby.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 600
Hey guys. Even though the headbadge reads: "Shelby" "Eagle" "Gambles Stores". Is the bike still considered an "Airflo" ?
The frame and the fork are the same, except an airflow does not have head badge holes on the head tube. With airflow parts, you can convert your bike into one. I would look for the tank that would have come on your bike, which is called the no-nose.

The frame and the fork are the same, except an airflow does not have head badge holes on the head tube. With airflow parts, you can convert your bike into one. I would look for the tank that would have come on your bike, which is called the no-nose.

That's what I needed. Thanks so much.

Nice Shelby! Can you take a color picture so we can see what the paint looks like? Shelby had some really unique designs for their bikes, they made some of the coolest looking bikes ever, like the Speedline Airflow, best bike in the world.

Actually, I think yours is most likely an Airflow by Shelby model nomenclature.

Shelby used Airflow through '37 and switched to Airflo in '38

The wishbone style frame was their top line product during it's run. As best I can tell, all variations with the wishbone frame, no matter the equipment level, were referred to as Airflow (or Airflo) models.

Unless someone produces a Gambles ad or catalog or other document, we don't know if Gambles used that term or not. I see that Western Auto did use "Air-Flo" for their Shelby built Airflo models.

Most of your components look early to me, like 1936ish. If true, the banana tank is the one you seek. It is also possible that it never had a tank and the batteries were housed in a can. Does it have a Morrow rear hub with date codes? Or what does the brake arm look like on the New Depature hub?

The wishbone style frame was their top line product during it's run. As best I can tell, all variations with the wishbone frame, no matter the equipment level, were referred to as Airflow (or Airflo) models.

Unless someone produces a Gambles ad or catalog or other document, we don't know if Gambles used that term or not. I see that Western Auto did use "Air-Flo" for their Shelby built Airflo models.

Most of your components look early to me, like 1936ish. If true, the banana tank is the one you seek. It is also possible that it never had a tank and the batteries were housed in a can. Does it have a Morrow rear hub with date codes? Or what does the brake arm look like on the New Depature hub?

Good stuff,
I also suspect '36 and I believe your bike did have a tank from the front fender conduit opening.
Chris

Nice Shelby! Can you take a color picture so we can see what the paint looks like? Shelby had some really unique designs for their bikes, they made some of the coolest looking bikes ever, like the Speedline Airflow, best bike in the world.

Here ya go. This is the un-doctored pic.

attachment.php

Great input. This is really what I'm wanting to know. I too wondered if it was sold with a tank. Upon picking the bike up and checking out the front fender (conduit hole and collar) it clearly had something. I thought most likely a bananna tank, but before hunting I wanted to know for sure. I really like this bike, in fact the old re-paint doesn't even bother me. Therefore, I want to make it right.

Last edited:
Back