When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936-39, 26" Shelby Eagle

-
Before buying the bike this is a manufacturers add I found, that I believe is this bike. The add is from 1936.

attachment.php

Hi Doug,
Can you post an image of a Shelby catalog page that shows a bike with straight fender braces and a no nose tank that is called an Airflo(w)?
Thanks,
Chris
Actually, I think yours is most likely an Airflow by Shelby model nomenclature.

Shelby used Airflow through '37 and switched to Airflo in '38

The wishbone style frame was their top line product during it's run. As best I can tell, all variations with the wishbone frame, no matter the equipment level, were referred to as Airflow (or Airflo) models.

Unless someone produces a Gambles ad or catalog or other document, we don't know if Gambles used that term or not. I see that Western Auto did use "Air-Flo" for their Shelby built Airflo models.

Most of your components look early to me, like 1936ish. If true, the banana tank is the one you seek. It is also possible that it never had a tank and the batteries were housed in a can. Does it have a Morrow rear hub with date codes? Or what does the brake arm look like on the New Depature hub?

Before buying the bike this is a manufacturers add I found, that I believe is this bike. The add is from 1936.

attachment.php

Yes, I think that is what you have. The only component I see on yours that *might* be inconsistent is the Wald knuckle stem. I do not know when they first appeared. I have them on a couple '37 dated bicycles, and that is as early as I can recall seeing one.

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. On that page, it mentions the Airflo Special with streamlined tank. I retract my prior Aiflo statement. It appears that the name Airlo applies to bikes built with that style frame, and not exclusively to the deluxe models like I had previously assumed.

I could do that with some difficulty... but for the moment here is a link to the 1938 Western Auto flyer and the "Air-Flo's" that I mentioned above... not a curved brace or forward projecting tank to be found.

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle85

Looks like Gambles used the term Airflow in 1936. Here are two pages from 1936 Gambles catalogs I have. Initials for fenders were also available.

Spring 1936
jy3ypy8e-1.jpg

Fall 1936
zybaqa6e-1.jpg

Wow, tons of info!!!! Now I know where I'm at. Thanks to all of you for your effort. Love the pics in the cat. and can tell it did come with the tank. New twist is they called it an "Eagle" "Motor Bike" "Airflow" as well.

Back