When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Columbia Superb A9tb

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

Is this model A9TB? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm coming up with a few models similar but not the exact same. Will be here in about a week so I will have the serial then... Paging Mr. Columbia!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First catalog image is 1936 and second is 1937. In 38 Columbia went to the Cheese Grater Style chain guard so I don't think it is that late. Same chain guard in 1935 but different frames so not that either. Notice different tail reflector than this bike in 36. Probably a 37 B19T. Even if serial number shows a late 36 manufacture it still could be a 37 model. The fork struts are 37 or later as well if you notice the style change.

I had one of these myself years ago that I got from a Columbia employee named Charlie Couch. The story he told was the extra support on the frame was put there for extra strength. The story he told was while working at the Columbia factory his younger brother had a paper route and had broken frames on a couple of different bikes. Charlie said he had this bike specially made with the extra frame brace for strength. A few years later the younger brother went to war and was killed in action. The bike sat in Charlie's attic from that point until the early 1980's when my father and I pried the bike off the floor of his barn attic as the old tires had melted to the floor. That bike came from the factory without a tank. See first picture.

I know now that the story of the brace was incorrect as many Columbia's had it. The reason for it may still hold some credibility as I don't see the tank needing the brace to mount to the bike.

1938 in original condition.jpg

36.jpg
37.jpg

Thank you so much for clearing tht up! Your wealth of knowledge is always impressive.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

The only differance is my fork is the chromium version. Also, could a kickstand rather than dropstand have been used from the factory?

The only differance is my fork is the chromium version. Also, could a kickstand rather than dropstand have been used from the factory?

I find the catalogs are more suggested models and small variations such as these are common. What really impresses me is when an original paint bike shows up and it is fitted out exactly like the catalog version in every detail.

It's very possible that your bike was made during the time of the models changing to the new year's models and that is why it has features from both years.

Back