When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Elgin Bluebird - Progress!

-
This thread reads like a great book with amazing art! Words can hardly describe what happened from page 1 to page 8. From the frame repairs, the fork resurrection, the front fender fixes, and that patina paint job is out of this world! I've learned a few things here, but looks like you really listened to how others do things and really put your stamp on it. Two thumbs way the f#@k up! Outstanding job! Joe

Well, in an attempt to stop the chemical reaction that I implemented to create much of that dusty rust texture, I think I killed some of the realism of my patina work :(

I used a clearcoat that I was told would dry flat and colorless.

I dont like it as much but at least I can touch and handle the bike without rubbing off my work.

IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

Also, aside from killing some texture, it also added some unwanted sheen

[emoji106]use a little tripped 000 steel wool or an old wool shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jim.

I tried steel wool but it removed the rust color I created before killing the gloss. Maybe 1000 sandpaper?

I also thought I would add a thicker layer of clear coat and then try steel wool again.

Back