When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Elgin Bluebird tear down

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
"Sand in your vag....." Good one, Tim!

I give you props for:

a) restoring such an iconic bike
b) bringing the project before the bike sharks here

Good luck with it!!!!!

(I would drill out the rivets too)

Damn Rick did you really pay $2k for a paint job?

Yeah, and it's not even close to the right color. The Opalescent colors weren't introduced until the the Spring Summer catalog of 1937, and they didn't have any metallic flake in them at all.
They were more like abalone shell in appearance.

I know this all sounds bad, and if it was a Luxury Liner nobody would care, but it doesn't get much better than an Elgin Bluebird, so with the price of the bike, and a two thousand dollar paint job on top of that, it just seems like a little research is in order, to get it as close to correctly restored as possible.

Now, if a full blown custom is what the goal is, then that is going to be an absolutely spectacular custom bicycle. No doubt about it!

Damn Rick did you really pay $2k for a paint job? I remember back in the day only getting about $1k and maybe some car parts in trade for a decent paint job on a whole car. Looking sweet I can't wait to see it together. Are you going to bring it to MLC? V/r Shawn

Yes I did, The shop had 32 hrs in labor, they do all repairs the old way with a big hammer and no bondo build up.

LOL

Rivets are rivets. Don't get sand in your vag over it, I was just asking out of curiosity. I maybe restoring one for a guy soon.

In fact, send me your fender and pay shipping both ways and I will install the proper rivets, as long as there isn't a skim coat of bondo under the fender that will crack.

Vag....Really? Make sure you introduce yourself to me at ML.....

Rick

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know rivets from nail heads, but the bike looks great.

"Sand in vag" shld be up for quote of the year....

Damn Rick did you really pay $2k for a paint job?

Yeah, and it's not even close to the right color. The Opalescent colors weren't introduced until the the Spring Summer catalog of 1937, and they didn't have any metallic flake in them at all.
They were more like abalone shell in appearance.

I know this all sounds bad, and if it was a Luxury Liner nobody would care, but it doesn't get much better than an Elgin Bluebird, so with the price of the bike, and a two thousand dollar paint job on top of that, it just seems like a little research is in order, to get it as close to correctly restored as possible.

Now, if a full blown custom is what the goal is, then that is going to be an absolutely spectacular custom bicycle. No doubt about it!

Not even close? Maybe it was the lighting and flash in the picture that is throwing your judgment off? I did do research and the paint code was from someone who has painted many of the BB's and they have turned out just fine... It is what it is and that is Mine (Paid in Full)...Lets see more pics of 36 BB's so we can compare..

i wouldn't take the rivets out now.........
evilpenguinslapsmileyemoticon_zpsc5ba37d-1.jpg

"Sand in your vag....." Good one, Tim!

I give you props for:

a) restoring such an iconic bike
b) bringing the project before the bike sharks here

Good luck with it!!!!!

(I would drill out the rivets too)

I want to make sure I am introduced to Sandy at ML
A) Thanks
B) Sharks or retired Sears employee's

I can always drill and paint the fenders as most of the cost was labor for repairs... It's only money and if I don't spend it my wife and son will ..lol

Rick

Wow, you really take stuff personal.

And just what would you do if you met me? Kick my ass? Yeah, that'll teach anyone not to mess with you on the internets!!! Relax a bit, you make yourself sound like a meat head.

If you can't take criticism or expect people to fall all over themselves with praise on this site you are mistaken. Hell, I even offered to rivet your fenders for free.

Last edited:
Back