When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Elgin Robin

-

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
First, I have to give thanks to CABE member Nate for the opportunity to be this bike's caretaker.
I lost track of how many emails I sent about it over the last 2-3 years and really happy about the transaction and his transporting it to MLC so my friend Larkin could get it back to within easy driving distance for me.
Originally, I had plans on adding a Mussleman 2-speed cable set up, but decided to use that for my 4-star as I intended when I bought it...I found the cable a distraction for one of the best tank designs of the era and there was too much of a difference in year.
Also, I had an X-pert speedo on it, but without truss rods to secure the cable, it was a liability against the left nose of the tank.

Basically, I kept all the upgrades and accessories off the bike and left it factory fro the most part.

So, I...
-straightened out and cleaned the Torrington streamlined pedals and replaced the blocks
-buffed some fender scratches out and rolled the tips carefully under light pressure without having to remove the original brown painted rivets
-added a glass faceted reflector
-swapped the original badge that had a bad rash
-added original crème Elgin grips,
-serviced the headset and cranks
-added an aftermarket chrome hockey stick guard used in '37 (just in case I ride it someday)
-i'd like to get a pencil stand eventually which was missing, but I went with a similar kickstand as the jiffy I preferred provided to much of a lean, shifting the zeppelin.

It was a nice day out so I took some pics before dark.

Chris

DSCN1106.jpg
DSCN1097.jpg
DSCN1096.jpg
DSCN1099.jpg
DSCN1101.jpg
DSCN1103.jpg
DSCN1105.jpg

Last edited:
This bike still blows my mind. One of the best success stories in the past few years.

Those grips look nice on there but didn't that style grip come out a couple years after this bike was built? It seems like in the catalogs they are shown with those simple common black grips.

Maybe so, but I am of the belief I can personalize my bike as the youths of the great depression did as well....staying within the period and reasonable as an upgrade or replacement, particularly from the same supplier.
Before finishing a bike and releasing it into cyberspace, I do debate internally which is more important...catalogue correct to serve as a real world reference or misinterpretation fallout from substitutions often made on best available material, or simply without.
Maybe my bike will spark other Robin owners to follow to use these grips that match the ribs of the tank and in a color that brings out the ivory just like many Speedline Airflows have Wald tomahawk stems...at some point, it became generally expected although not factory equipped.
Yet, it looks good and with purpose.
Chris

Last edited:
IMO one of the coolest tanks ever made, runners up being the aerocycle, roadmaster supreme etc. Chris that bike is jaw dropping. Thanks for letting us view this beauty. Rob.

Back