When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Elgin seatpost diameter?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

stationwagonguy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Trying to get a longer seatpost made for a friend's bike... but realized the current seatpost is too small/shimmed.

I do know it's an Elgin, the previous owner told her it was a '36... I don't really know how to verify and never made any attempt to.

Regardless... is there a standard seatpost diameter on these Elgins or is this something that's gonna take a guessing game? I can mic the seat tube but IDK how much smaller the post needs to be.

Thanks!

elgin seatpost.png

elgin1.jpg

Elgin 2.jpg

Is the shim on there a one piece or a two piece? I've encountered some Elgin's that were a 2 piece before.

Sean

I believe that to keep the same seat and mounting provision, a seat-post with the right* bend is required to be used.
Some seat tube masts have reduced inside diameter below the shims; for those, one should stick to the shim method.

Common seat post diameters are 13/16" (earlier); and there are others.

Measuring to nearest 1/32" (0.03" or ~1mm) should be good.

A 1936 Elgin might be more of a bike for show, just cruising, than a bike for optimum comfort/speed?

Last edited:
Literally no interest in keeping the same mounting/right angle. Seat on it is falling apart and there's a Brooks B66S waiting for it.

stezell, are you suggesting the seatpost with shims may be original?

Fordmike- basically the same question. Are you telling me the one pictured is a 5/8" with murray shims or that's what should be there?

For the record- Trying to find a solution that DOESN'T use shims.

I suppose I have to pull the post and make sure there isn't a weird smaller diameter lower than that as well then?

Does anyone have a '30s Elgin with a seatpost they can measure?

Check the serial number for an SC for 1938 or SD for 1939 (sometimes curved seat tube mast), etc. for the date (only*) of the bicycle.
Some earlier 1937 Elgin bicycles might not have used the S (Sears) - Alphabet stampings.
[The date does not relate to seat post].

I would check-fit a long Wald seat post 13/16" x 7/8" (top) at about ~$10.

Last edited:
Literally no interest in keeping the same mounting/right angle. Seat on it is falling apart and there's a Brooks B66S waiting for it.

stezell, are you suggesting the seatpost with shims may be original?

Fordmike- basically the same question. Are you telling me the one pictured is a 5/8" with murray shims or that's what should be there?

For the record- Trying to find a solution that DOESN'T use shims.

I suppose I have to pull the post and make sure there isn't a weird smaller diameter lower than that as well then?

Does anyone have a '30s Elgin with a seatpost they can measure?
Several manufactures used their own style shims to accept 5/8" seatposts including Murray, CWC & Snyder. That lady's Elgin is set up as it was from the factory. 2 pc shims & a 5/8' seatpost. Some were an L and others more 7 shaped.

Pretty sure my girl's Elgin has the same set-up.

1618860357158.png

1618860373508.png

As did my old Pacemaker. Also Murray built

1618860457222.png

Interesting- so were these frames ever sold non-shimmed? I'm confused why they'd shim them instead of running a full sized seatpost?

Will have to look for the serial #- is there a breakdown for how to read them, or does it literally just have a date stamped in it?

Interesting- so were these frames ever sold non-shimmed? I'm confused why they'd shim them instead of running a full sized seatpost?
Just the way it was. Colson used 3/4, Shelby 13/16" and I believe many Schwinns also used they're own style 13/16 seatposts.

If you really prefer not using shims, then measure the ID of the seat tube with a digital micrometer and have one made up. You might get lucky and may even measure out to 3/4 or 13/16.

OK, finally got to the bike with a micrometer and some seatposts... it's a 13/16ths seatpost without shims (so the same size as older Schwinns).

Making sure I share this in case anyone else ever needs this information, haha. Forgot to check the serial number, will do next time.

Also, since it was asked, the shim in the bike was 2 piece, yes. Had to be careful removing them so the second piece didn't fall down the seat tube!

Back