When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 ELGIN SKYLARK- how to fasten the Skirt Guards?

-

popawheelie

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello all, I'm putting together a '36 Skylark girls bike. The parts I received were not put together, and there are no screws etc to fasten the Chain Guard head or the Skirt Guards to the fender. Does anyone know what type of screws or bolts are correct for this ?
My guess is either Chrome plated slot-headed sheet metal screws, or slot headed thin bolts with a washer and nut on the inside.......
Does anyone know?

Thanks ahead of time,
Mike

The one I have has slot head bolts + nuts, can't tell if they're original, but looks to have been on there a long time!

Well Adam, that gives me hope. I'm taking the bike to a very old hardware store which is known for having an enormous collection of bolts, screws and nuts. The fender edge actually has the holes in it and the holes are not a clean through and through.....and that makes me think that perhaps mine had a sheet metal screw in the past.
I'm hoping that one day I can find the original speedo and cluster/stem it mounted on. There's one fellow here who says he's going to take his to a foundry and have copies made......I'm in line if it is somewhat affordable.

Back