When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Model C. Clunker

-

Talon

Look Ma, No Hands!
Well, I have been a long time lurker. So, I have decided to join. This will be my first post. So, I will tell a little something about myself.
I raced BMX in 76-78. In 1981 I put together a KOS Cruiser. When I was riding on base. A guy stops me and asked if the bike I had was a mountain bike? It was a BMX Cruiser. So, fast forward to 2011. My kids are moving on now. So decide to build a couple bikes. It turned out nice. So I put it in a bike show. Just for fun. The judges said, we don't have a category for it. Its not a vintage, and the closest category is, is a Clunker. It was fun. So, I got into looking into this thing called Clunker/Klunker. I began my quest. On and off for the last two years, I started looking for that hard to find Union rear hub. I bought one, then then lost interest in the build and sold it. Almost a year later. I come across the guy I sold it to. I asked him what he did with it. He painted the face plate a purple color. But, he wasn't using it. I bought it back. And this started my obsession. Alan Bonds has a very good website. And I started the search for the rest of the parts. I have not completed my build. But, I can see the end is near. I have not seen anyone build a BF Goodrich. And I do like the darts. Now, I have to figure out how to place some pictures. To support this post.
IMG_20171013_120248.jpg

IMG_20171013_120247.jpg

IMG_20171013_120236_1.jpg

Cool bike, doesn't look like a "C" model but unimportant...spent a lot of time on Alan's site drooling at the bikes...so building one too...

How did you get the Rapid Transit bars through the stem?
In the 70's. We had this problem. So what we did was. Take two common srewdrivers and stick them in the gap of the gooseneck and spread the opening just enough to slide the bar through. We are at the part that that is tricky. To close the gap, I used a.prybar called a lady finger. But you can use a large phillips scewdriver to realigned the holes.

There have been posts already covering the differences in detail...top tube on a c model is almost straight behind the head tube, b models have a larger opening for the tank and top tube is curved as you have pictured. There is also a b model frame and fork project in the for sale section looks like yours

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Because the bike isn't finished yet. I am waiting to install the head badge. It will be the last item to be installed..

There have been posts already covering the differences in detail...top tube on a c model is almost straight behind the head tube, b models have a larger opening for the tank and top tube is curved as you have pictured. There is also a b model frame and fork project in the for sale section looks like yours

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I see the difference now. I have tried to change the title. To "36 BF Goodrich Clunker" but it isn't happening.

So, a little about the bike. As you probably noticed. It isn't a Model "C". But now thinking it is a BC117? When I bought the frame off Craigslist. It was stripped of paint. And someone did some grinding on the seat post bar near the BB. So I didn't feel all that bad adding the derailer attachment tab. The rims are ukai 26x2.125. it was a faded blue. So I had them polished to remove the anodized color. The forks are a Colson. With a Schwinn script cantilever brakes. The seat of course is a Brooks B-72. Seat post clamp is Campy. The seat post is 13/17 solid aluminum rod. The handle bars are Als rapid transit. A nice looking gooseneck by Ashtabula. Okay, I put these cranks on for now. But, I have a Sugino super maxi. They look very similar to the TAs that the clunkers have. In fact Alan Bonds has a bike pictured with one on it. I am not going to say. But if you want to. It is on his Clunker website.

Last edited:
Back