When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Monark Silver King - Tank anyone?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now I'm ready to see a picture of a 26X with a tank!, I can see that existing sense there is a OG Streamliner/Speedster ( kinda a steel 26X ) that recently surfaced here & literature with a hanging 5 bar style tank with a odd wing to fill the gap.

Last edited:
I made this one awhile ago.

B631DD43-1755-4483-AC42-B6C3607C225E.jpeg

9FEE6D13-B403-4AE8-B7BE-58832093B621.jpeg

1B4B6279-6E26-4AA7-A811-E8C3525EA701.jpeg

The tank shape is not the same as the top bars, and the tank hits the front casting. The 26X frame is much longer then the M1 frame that this tank fits like it was made for it. I could make sheetmetal plates and notch the tank but it would just look like a tank that does not fit the frame.

20221225_110149.jpg

20221225_110156.jpg

20221225_110204.jpg

M26X-1.jpg

Yesssss... and this is exactly how a lot of the "dangling tanks" as I described them right here in this thread looked. DANGLING TANKS. People who bought these frames from me wanted them anyway. Nobody, but nobody was arguing about it back then. There are– as we speak... about 18 of the frames I had in the 1970s out there somewhere. People who bought most of these begged for the tanks and got them. I know of two who installed metal panels with them. Fact.

Had you been around and involved with these bicycles in the 1970s, then you would already know these facts. All of which is why the supposed lists of WHO owns the rare SIlver Kings, etc.etc. don't have mine on them, do they?

This tank thing is not MY doing. Yes, they are a lousy fit and not aesthetically pleasing (certainly not to anyone with a designer eye). I didn't make the tanks. I just had a bunch of them. And I never said they were for any Silver King. And I was never-ever–ever into modifying any of my personal keeper bicycles. This was decades before "rat-rod" stuff existed.

But a lot of people bought them and put them together that way. There were also two sold with NOS aftermarket chrome pressed metal rear carriers that kinda-sorta "fit"... People wanted those too. Some people THOUGHT 26-X was supposed to have a rear carrier... and they DID argue about that too. I probably have photos of these somewhere too. But that would just be yet another argument. TWO of these went to Chicago. Where they all are today is anybody's guess.

This may come as a surprise to people in 2022, but in the 1970s, there were no people walking around with cell phones with built-in digital cameras. All of the photos I showed you were taken at least 30-40 years ago. Back before there were camera phones and internet and people arguing online about how many 26-X bicycles there were and who owned them and what went on them. The only reason you can see the photos I posted here was because I had the foresight to take them with my 35mm film Nikon camera. Before a lot of people today were alive. And before there were any Silver King "experts." Some people today may remember these film camera devices. Now there will be somebody who will be ready to argue about when digital cameras and etc.etc.etc. happened and how.

In the final analysis, what I said still stands: there was no factory-made, factory-installed tank for aluminum Silver Kings. End of the real story. All the arguing and attempts to one-up me will not change these facts.

Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back