When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Monark Silver King - Tank anyone?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears ad for tank

Tanks do not fit 26-X frames.
Ahhh. The photos were not enough?

Yeahhhhhh... I knew the minute I mentioned this and showed the photo that would be someone alllllllll set and ready to argue about it. The internet and today's criteria makes everybody an "expert" on whatever they think they are an "expert." Unfortunately one needs to have vision that is not limited by today's clique rigidity or appetite for arguing. In the 1970s, I couldn't give a 26-X away– no matter how many may be salivating over them in 2022! All people wanted back then was what many of them were calling "Schwinn fanthoms" (yesssss, that's how they said it). And the few people who got a 26-X were all begging for tanks. You think this didn't happen?

WHY is arguing about stuff by people who were not even around and not doing this stuff back in the day such a silly pastime here today, 40-50 years after the fact?

I can very well assure you, these tanks were hung under the top two bars of a 26-X and there were several that were around with dangling tanks in the 1970s-80s. I used stainless steel strapping, fashioned similar to Monark Super-Frame boy's tanks straps- only longer at the rear. Monark-Silver King, Inc. used a similar procedure on Monark Super-Frame models, Spiegel Airman models, Montgomery Ward Hawthorne models and others. Some even had metal insert panels. Like it or not. Of course you would need to know this history and have the original literature to know these facts. So... "do not fit 26-X"? Please. It was a custom thing that people wanted– for whatever reason. Or to use today's parlance, "rat-rod"...

40 years ago, few people on this planet even knew what a 26-X was. And nobody back then or today is in position to tell me what happened back then or what fits or does what with 26-X. I was the first collector to own one and the first to have several of them. Long before there was any knowledge or a real hobby or Silver King collectors. And yes, I still have my mint original, complete, unmolested 1939 Silver King 26-X that I got around 1975 (now you'll want me to prove it).

I had many Silver Kings well before that time. And yes, I already told you earlier here that Sears and Western Auto sold these tanks... so obviously these were shown in the store and mail-order catalogues. Of course I have Sears catalogues going back to the 1800s and Western Auto catalogues going back to their beginnings (both Western Autos). Been collecting these since the 1950s too– and have thousands today. And I was also collecting Elgins, J.C. Higgins and Western Flyers back when... well ... nobody was collecting them either... but no matter, huh?

Here is my nice original 26-X (pardon the CCM Flyte next to it... had that over 40 years too). The Elgin Falcon in the background is all original unmolested and was won by a kid who got it by attending the Chicago World's Fair in the 1930s (I've owned it over 45 years and I am 2nd owner).

Leon'sCCMFlyte&SK26XWM.jpg

Leon'sCCMFlyte&SK26X2WM.jpg

LeonDixonsBowdensBluebirdsSK26XEaqrly1980sWM.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't get the attitude ..... seems like this is getting off the rails!
All of this for a tank?

P.S.
you know your Flyte has most of the wrong parts on it ..... right?
Speaking of "getting off the rails".... yes. I don't get the "attitude" either!

Nahhhh.... I'm lucky I bumped into you! I've had the Flyte all these years and I know zero about it. Do you think I should throw it away? I've never looked at other Flytes. And I have never looked at my Flyte literature. Do you think the CCM dealerbooks I have for 1935-1942 would do me any good to consult? (I have every year and most other years of original CCM catalogues– not that it matters).

That 26-X and Flyte photo was taken at least 30 years ago... and is not posted on here to show off to you as a concours or as a restoration. It just happened to be a handy photo... and sitting next to my 26-X.

My Flyte has "most of the wrong parts, huh?" Like the seat? Or the grips? Or the crank? Or the headbadge? Wow. I do have a dome-shaped glass rear reflector in a metal housing in a box. Should I toss that?

But thank you for sharing your helpful and valuable expert opinion.

CCMLeonDixonWM.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back