When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Schwinn Henderson - Looking for an Image

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I need to do a periodic clean up and refresh of my grandfather's 1936 Schwinn Henderson. This is one of the double-arch bar "roadster" type balloon tire bikes with no tank. I'm looking for a catalog image from that year showing the original configuration. I suspect it would have had black wall tires. I remember him saying something to that effect years ago. I'd also be interested in the type of handlebars. I suspect my father's cousin replaced the bars in the 1950s or 60s with later bars. I have a set of crossbar handlebars I can use if those are original. My grandfather said the bars were "long" and were like "steer horns", but I haven't seen any of those in his barn to show what I might be dealing with.

Any suggestions on decent tires approximating a 1930s-40s look? I don't ride it much, just once in a great while and I have 1990s era knobby white walls on it now (this is before internet sales were much of a thing).

I'd like a catalog image I can use to guide me back to something approximating what the bike originally would have been in the 1930s-40s. My father's cousin changed some things in the 1950s-60s, so I'm trying to inch back toward original, at least as my grandfather would have known it. He passed last year due to COVID at 92.

Thanks. I pulled the grips from the bars the bike was found with. I was expecting to see "Torrington" or "T" or something of that sort, but these bars have no maker's mark on them at all that I can see. I wonder if they would be Wald then? The stem was broken but had the "T" on it. I have always been under the impression the '36 double arch bar should have Torrington bars if it has a Torrington stem. Correct me if that is not the case. The bars are kind the "scout" type bars - they're of a generic shape, and not very long.

Looking at pictures and the catalog, it looks like the normal two choices would have been long-horn type bars that come way back (my grandfather alluded to that kind of bar when I asked him years ago) or the cross-bar type. I have a set of crossbars in my parts pile, which I put on the bike. The stem needs to be swapped to the Torrington type, and I have one of those around for the project too.

Anyone actually think that un-marked scout type bars would be right? The grips were from the 1950s - red "Hunt Wilde Corp" grips. They're made in USA, but they also did not seem correct. My working theory is my dad's cousin bent the bars when he crashed the bike back in the late 1950s. Or perhaps he did not like the long horn bars, who knows. I'm thinking of going forward with the "T" stem and the crossbar handlebars.

They had some loong bars back then for sure.I see them on people's bike every now and then. Appropriately called steerhorns or longhorns. In fact I would like.to get some but just started looking. Iusually use motorbike crossbars for my builds. Getting the long pull bars to maneuver in emergency situations is what has prevented me from buying them so far. On my 36 I have regular crossbars but they have longer drop than later years

Back