When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Schwinn Motorbike build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OC_Rolling_Art

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have always wanted a '36 Motorbike so when Bob U. posted a Lasalle-badged frame for sale I jumped in. Now what? The search is part of the fun but when you buy these bikes by the piece it becomes a labor of love with few economic strong points. A tank and bars from Tyler, then fenders showed up, then I found a set of forks but upgraded to a locking fork. After each and every nickel-and-dime part eventually showed up through fellow Cabers (still need an early drop stand!) I was finally able to put this together for a test ride after a little more than a year of hunting parts. The re-chromed truss rods, head set and crank/sprocket are just place holders and are to be swapped out with patina pieces. Some triple step wheels were located (though earlier '34 Morrow rear) and were re-laced with double-butted spokes. The bike rides killer. Pedals, EA horn button, tires and rack (@JAF/CO) are re-pops. The horn works! Hockey stick guard never made it for the test ride.

This will come apart for some metal work and then I'll start prepping for paint, which I will distress after. Want to do an interesting reverse-paint scheme, something different. Building prewar bikes from individual pieces is not really what I want to do again, but it sure is rewarding to bring a pile of parts back into form.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-11.jpeg

Unknown-9.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! I have had a 36 schwinn, I swear it rode better than other schwinns of that era! I always thought the fork geometry was different.

Great job! I have been on your same journey. Bob U did my seat work and Jim JAF/CO rims, rack, frame, EA horn bracket. Locking fork and drop stand from a donor lady. The tank is what started it all was from the old Fresno farm swap meet. I have added a “hidden” yellow band kickback.

"it becomes a labor of love with few no economic strong points"! I built my '38 this way and could have almost bought two Motorbikes for what I will have in this when its finally painted. I'm doing all three of my Motorbikes in reverse/unusual colors. '35-Cream/ ChiCyCo Dark Blue, '36-Cream/Apple Green. and '38 Gray/Dark Red--all with reversed fenders. Looking forward to seeing what colors you go with on yours. V/r Shawn

Back