1937 Colson Hi Lo

This ad disappears when logged in

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Many of you have already seen this bike that I picked up yesterday. People throw the term 'rare' around so much that it has pretty much lost meaning. These bikes I believe truly deserve that moniker. So far these are my observations: The serial number is 4E2805 which would lead me to believe it is a '34. The rear hub however (Morrow) has a "G3" which indicates 3rd quarter of '37.

Reading the scant literature available it appears the Hi Los were offered from '34 - '37 pretty much unchanged from year-to-year. Initially I thought maybe some things had been changed on this bike to include the seat and tank from a different bike. I have collected all the photos I could find of Hi Los and found another very similarly equipped except it has the correct rack and different fenders.

I posit that there were slight changes from year-to-year and that the frame was only made one or two years and the left over frames were built and sold over the next couple of years. I'd be interested in seeing serial numbers from other Hi Lo owners. V/r Shawn

Col1.JPG
Col2.JPG
Col3.JPG
Col5.JPG
Col6.JPG
Col7.JPG
Col8.JPG
Col4.JPG

rustjunkie

Staff member
Jul 11, 2012
Monrovia, CA 91016
www.rustjunkies.com
Great bike Shawn!
I had a few of these in various stages of completeness. One was a balloon with those same rims, the others were 26" high-pressure.
Observation: as the wheels on this one have been respoked and the front looks like it's a New Departure, I'd say there's a likelihood that the hubs aren't original to this bike.
And wasn't 1933 the first year for the Hi-Lo Drive?

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Great bike Shawn!
I had a few of these in various stages of completeness. One was a balloon with those same rims, the others were 26" high-pressure.
Observation: as the wheels on this one have been respoked and the front looks like it's a New Departure, I'd say there's a likelihood that the hubs aren't original to this bike.
And wasn't 1933 the first year for the Hi-Lo Drive?
Hey Scott,
Yea I noticed that it had been re-spoked as well but my gut says this bike is a little later than the '34 serial. The only reference I have for the Hi Los is the one page in the Colson book. I believe it does indicate '33 as the first year. Funny thing is I don't believe you see a mention of the Hi Lo from '35 on? I'd be interested in seeing any literature concerning these bikes. I'd also be very interested in any serial number info. V/r Shawn

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Just noticed the "Scout" badge: from what I've seen of Scout badged bikes it was probably not equipped with a tank and carrier.
You could very well be right about that. The problem is that so little I known about these that I would hesitate to state that definitively. Whether it did or didn't originally really doesn't bother me. These items are easily removed but I'm going to leave it decked out as long as I own it--which, hopefully, will be a really long time! V/r Shawn

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$17.95
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$39.99
eBay Auction Picture
$19.99
eBay Auction Picture