When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Colson Hi Lo

-
View attachment 696611 View attachment 696612 View attachment 696613 Yep I do own it .....Rustjunkie I’m sure your right it didn’t come with a tank mine is flyer I know it came with the tank...the #’s are 4D8xxx. The d in my numbers might stand for deluxe (tank) with flyer being the delux model.

Thanks for posting. I'd like to see more serial numbers but am inclined to think the letter may be the month. Hopefully others will come forward and maybe we can crack the code. I'm by no stretch a Colson expert but I've seen a lot of different badges on a lot of different stuff so who knows for sure? V/r Shawn

View attachment 696611 View attachment 696612 View attachment 696613 Yep I do own it .....Rustjunkie I’m sure your right it didn’t come with a tank mine is flyer I know it came with the tank...the #’s are 4D8xxx. The d in my numbers might stand for deluxe (tank) with flyer being the delux model.
The Colson catalog actually states "Regular plate on all DeLuxe models is "Colson". "Regular plate on Standard models is "Flyer". Although it also mentions the ability to have other plates upon request.
Todd

Last edited:
2D308213-E531-4550-9F60-A98AB901D9D2.jpeg
14FCD628-E74A-4465-988D-9225864F439A.jpeg
I guess d beats e.. lol ....flyer has always been tanked. No harm in not having the tank but that would explained why no rack and different color tank....oh here are the decals for Colson....

Last edited:

See the photo in post #2 of this thread--that is not my bike. Coincidence? Having just read through the Colson Two Speed literature for '34 a Standard could also have tank, light, etc... the difference was in color/pattern and other equipment e.g. crossed braced bars for Deluxe vice un-braced bars for Standard. V/r Shawn

Yeah,I don't believe that silver Motorbike tank was original to that bike. I've seen it listed in catalogs as an aftermarket add-on. Nothing wrong with that. Just didn't leave the Colson factory with it.

View attachment 696724

Perhaps someone saw this bike and then put a Wards tank on yours.
Check the front hub: not the "solid bar stock" hub as on DeLuxe models, but rather the standard hub "not turned from bar stock".
The color appears to be maroon with white trim? Finishes, DeLuxe Line, black or maroon trimmed in white. Standard Line, red, blue or green trimmed in white.
Todd

Back