When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Dayton Model D4 Motobike

-
I found this thread for a similar Dayton that also has the decal on the downtube. What a great looking bike. Looks like the paint on it would have cleaned up really nice. I think this one is more likely a couple years later due to the chrome crows beak guard. Perhaps a 39?
Oh yeah this one has 1/2 inch pitch chain drive, some really cool shaped fenders, and a curved downtube.
Somewhere in California there is a bunker filled with Dayton bikes I am sure.

Added a couple reflectors to the rack.

20210107_143935.jpg

20210107_142651.jpg

I consider this one to be my first very nice bike. Unlike my other 2 projects this one showed up fairly complete but I still consider all my bikes projects. Big thanks to @New Mexico Brant for letting go of this fantastic bike. Thanks @stoney for the persons 219 reflector. I only know a bit regarding the history of this old bicycle but just owning something that @Freqman1 had previously is special to me. At some point between when Shawn owned it and Brandt got it somebody gave it an OA bath. Looks like some of the paint striping on the front fender may have taken hit. The majority of the original paint looks great. There are areas where brazed joints have paint loss but apparently this is common. There are no signs that this bike ever had a tank. I believe that because there is a "Dayton" decal on the downtube this bike would not have came with a tank. It's tough for me to come to terms with not putting a tank on this bike just because the 3 rib Zephyr tanks look so unbelievably cool. It would be tough to pass up a matching original paint tank for this bike. The deep Gothic fenders are unbelievably rare. Although I was under the impression that the putter stem came on all 37 Dayton models Shawn had mentioned that "The bike did not have a putter stem. The Morrow hub was a 3rd quarter '37 and my hypothesis is that by late '37 Huffman had quit using the putter stem because it was not really designed too well." so the wald 3 stays. I don't feel the need to get Torrington streamline pedals for it just because I am so rough on pedals when riding. Although this is not the correct mesinger tornado saddle I was thrilled when Brandt offered this to me as well. I think it looks the part and I'd rather have this one on this particular bike over a long spring saddle. He also brought a correct McCauley 9 hole rack which I will patina paint to match.... Not sure what kind of reflector would have came on the rack. I temporarily swapped out the crank arm as it was dinging the chain stays ; I think it was a bit bent so I will eventually get this fixed. Like all my other bikes this has an ever-changing wish list of parts. A Huffman dropstand and clip would be great. Some rough fender mounted dual silver rays would also look killer. If i scored a set of these i would then have to decide between a tank and using a battery tube. I really like what @OldSkipTooth did with dual silver rays using LED bulbs. https://thecabe.com/forum/media/37-huffman-led-silver-rays.35086/ I think the original grips would also be very cool. If you have read this far it is obvious that i could talk about this bike all day. Please feel free to respond or message me any information or thoughts that you may have regarding my new bike. Here is the page on it from nostalgic.net http://www.nostalgic.net/1937-dayton-model-4. Here is the only other bike I could find with the downtube decal peaked fenders and no tank - gosh it's gorgeous and unbelievably original http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle342

View attachment 1263679

View attachment 1263680

View attachment 1263681

View attachment 1263682

View attachment 1263683

View attachment 1263684

View attachment 1263685

View attachment 1263686

View attachment 1263687

View attachment 1263688

View attachment 1263689

View attachment 1263690

View attachment 1263691

View attachment 1263692

View attachment 1263693

View attachment 1263694

View attachment 1263695

View attachment 1263696
I was inline to buy that Dayton years ago, probably 8yrs ago is my guess, from Freqman, but something came up and I backed out, what a great crusty bike, love them just like that, that bike has a lot going for it. Looking good!

Last edited:
I was inline to buy that Dayton years ago, probably 8yrs ago is my guess, from Freqman, but something came up and it I never followed through, what a great crusty bike, love them just like that, that bike has a lot going for it. Looking good!
Oh wow cool! Thanks! Yeah just the right amount of crusty. I'm surprised how well the “chrome“ bits held up (other than the wheels which are dang crusty but solid). I'm pretty much leaving the paint alone for now. I'm glad it's not in pieces or collecting dust somewhere.

Last edited:
Back