When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Huffman Model 2 Super Streamline

-

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
AS some of you might remember, some time ago I built a 1937 Model 1 Super Streamline frame using a regular 1937 Mens frame. at that time the goal was to build one of each variant of Huffman's Streamliners.
Since then I have been thinking, where would I put them all, and why would I even want so many. at first I got much encouragement, but when it became more evident that I was going to actually pull it off, there were quite a few who seemed to get rather alarmed. I was told everything from I shouldn't do it at all, to I should make a few changes so mine would be identifiable, to some thinking I should alter the serials so they could be identified that way.
I must admit I was having a little bit of self doubt about these ending up being passed off later as real. in the end, I have decided not to alter them nor mark them, but I have also decided that these very few will remain with me as mine. if in the future they're passed as originals, so be it, the did start their life in the Huffman factory in 1937 and deserve to be allowed to find their way in the world after I'm gone.
There's still a long way to go, but this hurdle has officially been crossed, the Model 2 frame is done, the two frames have been made.

04a1_zps14891c12-1.jpg

P1040546_zps50910732-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very skilled craftsmanship! That model 1 is a beautiful bike I would love to own someday but will likely never have the cash to spend on an OG model. I don't see anything wrong with what you have done, but I am only a part time antique bicycle collector.. Big car guy though and people "clone" cars into something more than they were born as all the time and as long as both buyer and sellers are both honest in what they are selling then all should be safe.

Safety/Super Streamline....?

Why is there Safety and Super Streamline, what is the difference?

I know Trudy's girl's bike is a Safety, do tell......

Why is there Safety and Super Streamline, what is the difference?

I know Trudy's girl's bike is a Safety, do tell......

come on Lawrence, I know you saw this...
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?22538-Huffman-Super-Streamlines&highlight=streamline

We'll wait while you catch up.................................................:rolleyes:

i like both of them they look great
Thank you Jim,
from a fellow fabricator that means a lot! :o

Last edited:
Nice Work!

Nice craftsmanship! Now, if you could only make the light for my 36 safety Streamline. Mike

Wow!

...a safety too. I'm dead jealous.

One question about darts.

Did the sort of dart pictured on the safety ever appear on supers? Or did supers always have triple darts?

Last edited:
...a safety too. I'm dead jealous.

One question about darts.

Did the sort of dart pictured on the safety ever appear on supers? Or did supers always have triple darts?

Technically both are Supers. and if I understand what you are getting at, there are two lines of Huffmans, each with their own paint schemes. I posted both without explaining it. the Model 2 tankless catalog page I posted is from the Huffman catalog, and the Model 1 page is from the National catalog. the tank type Huffman will have the same paint pattern as the tankless. likewise, the tankless National will be painted like the National Model 1.

Here's the Model 2 as a National:
4ModelsnoN2EampN3E-1.jpg

AS some of you might remember, some time ago I built a 1937 Model 1 Super Streamline frame using a regular 1937 Mens frame. at that time the goal was to build one of each variant of Huffman's Streamliners.
Since then I have been thinking, where would I put them all, and why would I even want so many. at first I got much encouragement, but when it became more evident that I was going to actually pull it off, there were quite a few who seemed to get rather alarmed. I was told everything from I shouldn't do it at all, to I should make a few changes so mine would be identifiable, to some thinking I should alter the serials so they could be identified that way.
I must admit I was having a little bit of self doubt about these ending up being passed off later as real. in the end, I have decided not to alter them nor mark them, but I have also decided that these very few will remain with me as mine. if in the future they're passed as originals, so be it, the did start their life in the Huffman factory in 1937 and deserve to be allowed to find their way in the world after I'm gone.
There's still a long way to go, but this hurdle has officially been crossed, the Model 2 frame is done, the two frames have been made.

04a1_zps14891c12-1.jpg

P1040546_zps50910732-1.jpg

You should use that paint skeme too! Nice work, wish i could weld! Nice nice nice!

Back