When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Roadmaster

-
I’m checking in a bit late on this one….

My best guess for dating this bike is that it is a Christmas bike for 1938.

The three important factors used to date a CWC bike are the pattern of the frame, the paint pattern on the frame, and the serial number.

The serial number trumps all, but often a bike comes up for photo dating without a serial number. From the other end, a serial number alone is generally insufficient to date a CWC bike because the company repeated their numbers several times.

Looking at this bike without a serial number I would have guessed it to be from late 1939 or 1940 based on the stenciled feather darts. That paint pattern first appears illustrated in the 1940 catalog and was used on various models at least into the early 1950’s. The earliest bike I have previously recorded with this pattern is from early 1940 and about 175,000 units later than your bike.

Without taking the paint into consideration, the frame itself could date from anywhere between late 1937, when the space between the top tubes on the double bar roadster frame was opened up to make room for a tank, and 1940+ as this frame design was produced at least into 1940 and possibly up until the beginning of WW2.

Since this bike comes with a serial number that will ultimately be the information that dates the bike. The serial number falls before the numbers on the ABC Services/Western Autos document so the best way to try to pin it down is to compare it to similar numbered bikes in the database. It turns out to be bracketed on the down side by a 1938 pattern Girl’s Supreme and on the high side by a 1939 pattern 3-Gill. All three of the bikes span about 8,000 units which is probably less than a month’s production for CWC.

All of the above leads me to believe the bike is from the fall of 1938 when the transition from 1938 pattern bikes to 1939 pattern bikes was being implemented. In reality that date could slide two or three months in either direction because modeling the system does not give clear break points for the end/beginning of any calendar year. While it was probably built in 1938 it could be called a 1939 model as the bike companies marketed their bikes much like automobiles with the new models for the next year being available well in advance of the calendar year break.

Now the question is whether the ornament and bracket were under the Christmas tree with the bike or added at a later date.

Thanks for the input Phil and everybody - I appreciate it. I am a Green-Horn when it comes to Roadmasters. So general consensus says it is a 1938, damn I was so close, lol. Does anybody have original scans or images? Also, what type of pedals are correct?

1-7-12

I found a seat that will work nicely on the bike. I had the bike out in the sun today and shot a few pics. The bike is in rough shape but I believe will look great when done. I plan on tearing it down today.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 127
1-8-12

The bike is tore down completely. It was a bitch to take apart. The Crank was frozen solid and Bearings dissolved to rust, Gooseneck broke off inside of Fork, Chain is rusted solid and a broken Master link. All things considered, not too bad. Lol, I have yet to do the Hubs!

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 112
That evening I got to trying to save the paint. A few beers and a whole lot of rubbing and this is what I got. I used xxxx steel wool/WD40 on it. I am a little disappointed in the lack of paint! There is enough to leave a witness mark of the original paint. In the pics, I have not cleaned/waxed the surfaces or done the Rear fender yet.

Attachments

• DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 124
Get yourself a bottle of rust remover in a brown bottle called "Whink" sold in smaller hardware stores and use it (wearing rubber gloves) and 0000 steel or brass wool.
My fastback sport I just picked up looked similar in shape and hue, and now it is blue...it really removes the ferrous patina quite well.
Wipe it off no more than 20 seconds or so with a terry cloth, but use more sparingly around the white detail.
Chris

Get yourself a bottle of rust remover in a brown bottle called "Whink" sold in smaller hardware stores and use it (wearing rubber gloves) and 0000 steel or brass wool.
My fastback sport I just picked up looked similar in shape and hue, and now it is blue...it really removes the ferrous patina quite well.
Wipe it off no more than 20 seconds or so with a terry cloth, but use more sparingly around the white detail.
Chris

Do you have before and after pics? His bike looks like my Elgin, maybe even a little better

Actually, I was planning on just that and posted the bike in the project rides and was waiting on some riverside mate tires to arrive to take a final gallery photo, but I'll see about uploading a shot tomorrow.
It is the best, fastest, and safest rust remover to use on painted metal in my opinion, but you have to work quickly in sections.
Chris

Do you have before and after pics? His bike looks like my Elgin, maybe even a little better

This months Bicycle of the Month is this 1937 Roadmaster restored and owned by Greg Clark. It features a New Departure 2-speed hub and a New Departure front brake.

Thanks,
Network Cables

Back